Reconnecting to a game after a disconnect while on a RESERVED SERVER is opening new server instances!

This is a pretty bad bug that is ruining how I do server saving in my game.

If you disconnect from a game and get this popup while on a reserved server and attempt reconnecting to a game, it has a chance to open an entirely new server on the same place instance rather than reconnecting to the reserved server.

This is causing critical issues regarding how I do server saving in my game and I need this addressed as soon as possible or a way to disable this feature in my game.

7 Likes

I forwarded this to the appropriate team.

1 Like

Can you post some more information about your problem? Which game is effected? Does this lead to data corruption? How?

Basically I do persistent servers in this game (the data saves even after the servers are shut down.) It uses reserved servers and create place async together to achieve this. My save system requires there to be only one server open on each place slot to achieve this and I manage this my using reserve severs and only allowing connecting the game through a lobby (the start place).
Ever since this new reconnect feature was introduce, it has brought with it the potential to open normal servers on the place slots causing there to be more than one server open for a place slot at a given time.

This is a very place-specific issue. Basically normal servers are being opened on the place slots because of this new reconnect feature rather than it just trying to reconnect to the single reserved server.

Potential fixes are either not displaying a reconnect option on reserved servers, or ensuring that if it is reconnecting to a reserve server it will never try to create a new server instance.

5 Likes

As a temporary workaround, you can use game.PrivateServerId to determine if the server is a reserved server and if it isnโ€™t, teleport every player into the reserved server.

1 Like

Thanks for your detailed information! We are looking into an option for developer to disable this for their places as well as try to connect back to the same server instance if possible.

Hate to bump, but itโ€™s been a while now and this issue is still on-going for me and my game and continues to cause extensive issues for my work. Is there any update regarding changes to fix this issue?

2 Likes

We are trying to fix this issue, but it involve more effort than we expected. We will update when we make progress. Thanks.

2 Likes

Hi, we recently made a change to make reconnect try connecting to the starter place instead the current place if it could. We are also making effort on trying to connecting back to same instance. Hopefully this will help solve your issue, thanks~

1 Like