Reduce minimum height for most built in widgets

As a Roblox developer, it is impossible to make my output widget taller in my layout configuration.

First and foremost, this is because the toolbox has an enormous minimum height in comparison to the height of my 1920x1080 screen. I don’t need to see 2 and a half rows of the toolbox when I’m not actively using it. I want to be able to shrink it all the way down to at least one row, or even just the controls header so I can expand other docked panels of Studio so I can see e.g. more of my output widget when I’m actively working with it.

2022-04-22_22-13-30

Secondly, the rest of the widgets I have stacked also have unnecessarily large minimum sizes with the exception of the insert object widget, which is blessedly its smallest usable size, and I greatly appreciate this.

Studio needs to do a pass on all built in widgets to make sure that they have their minimum size set to the smallest it can possibly be while still being partially usable (e.g. showing the toolbar at the top, even if not any content).

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because I would be able to use more of my screen for what I’m actually trying to do, without messing up my preferred Studio layout.

45 Likes

Just want to add here, PowerPoint is an amazing example of this UX principle; always allow an application to shrink to the smallest “reasonable” size, just sacrifice content if you have to. The user most likely has a good reason for going that small, it’s not your place to force them to see more than they need to, and they understand it’s obviously not going to be fully usable past a certain point.

12 Likes