Decrease in specular brightness.

Actual Behavior
Nothing happens when changing Reflectance

Issue Area: Studio
Issue Type: Display
Impact: High
Frequency: Constantly

3 Likes

Reflectance is legacy, and staff recommend for you to edit the PBR texture of a mesh to address this result. It’s annoying how they provided no other option to editing reflectance, though.

3 Likes

I don’t want to use PBR because my game will need performance first.
But not being able to control this reflex is annoying.
For example, this metallic roll should be chrome, gray.
But most of it is a reflection of the blue sky.:

The Reflectance property currently only works for Plastic and Glass materials. It doesn’t support variable roughness or tinted reflections you’d expect on real metals, and we can’t easily change this behavior without affecting old content. Like @Pyseph said, we’re trying to see if we can replace Reflectance with more powerful and realistic per-material controls. Using SurfaceAppearance is the only option for now, but indeed we want to give a better way to achieve your goal.

18 Likes

If you want reflections of the sky to be a color other than blue, then don’t use a blue sky. Blue reflections are realistically what you would get if you had a piece of metal like that in the real world.

If you have access to the materials, try building a real metal tube like that under a blue sky, polish it up and you’ll see that it does reflect the sky.

What he’s pointing out is that the inside of the tube should reflect the tube (being grey). However, this is an issue with reflectance itself (it always reflects the sky).

1 Like

It’s up to interpretation because it wasn’t exactly specified, but no part of that post was pointing out how the inside still reflected the sky. The post was addressing the blue color on the outside. Which I agree is very obnoxious, which is why I always use a grey sky with color correction so my game doesn’t look like it was made by martians.

1 Like

will there be any kind of support for old reflectance along with that? one of my games heavily relies on that on plastic to make buildings have reflective windows and it looks weird if i do it any other way, including when using glass. i don’t want to manually remake tons of buildings just to have support for certain features

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.