Reintroduce /login/return-to-studio

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to relogin into Roblox studio and the prior workflow required using roblox.com/login/return-to-studio to log back into studio with whatever account signed in on the browser.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because it would simplify the entire process for developers back to the norm.

It stops me having to find an experience, click edit, studio opens, I press login via browser, complete OAuth.
Then if I wanted to create a baseplate I would then need to quit that place, and then create a new baseplate.

This is all very clunky way of doing compared to just entering the URL, studio opens, I’m logged in, and I just get to work.

17 Likes

/login/return-to-studio was an extremely useful way of avoiding repeating the authentication process in Roblox Studio constantly.

Also, for Linux users running Roblox Studio through wine, it was a lifesaver as the log in process within studio is often finicky and has issues.

The removal of this feature is a big loss for UX and compatibility; I honestly see no reason whatsoever to get rid of it. Please bring it back.

5 Likes

Due to a fundamental change in how we perform authentication in Studio, we will not be able to restore this route as the flow that the endpoint uses will cease to work in the near future. The return-to-studio route was no longer used in any official Roblox products and traffic showed that this endpoint did not see any sort of regular use.

Could you confirm that the main UX improvements you are looking for are related to when you need to switch frequently between different accounts? We’re discussing internally how to improve the UX for these cases specifically.

1 Like

Changing accounts is one of the more compelling reasons, reauthentication in cases of studio bugs is another case.

I understand it wasn’t highly used but for those users it represents a core workflow path.

I want to be able to quickly reauth with whatever account I’m logged into, better multi account management is a helpful bonus but would not be a replacement.

Given ultimate control I would reintroduce the return to studio path, redirect to the OAuth page and then open studio at the homepage

1 Like

This is not possible in our current technical model for authentication because Studio must initiate the authentication flow.

From a UX standpoint, it is undesirable to have endpoints that users need to specifically remember and are not surfaced anywhere in the product otherwise.

I would recommend rewording this feature request or filing a new one that explains more about your use cases around multi-account usage, so that we can address your concerns with the right solution, as the current thread poses a specific solution we won’t be able to implement.

1 Like

@Jrelvas Is the issue here that Linux is incapable of running the web view? If you had a way to force Studio to open login in the browser, would this resolve your issue?

Feel free to reach out separately about specific problems. We don’t officially support Linux as a platform but want to understand if there’s something easy we could do here.

3 Likes

Yes, webview is quite finicky in wine. Last time I checked, microsoft edge is automatically downloaded every time studio opens (failing to install) and the webview simply doesn’t work. If it was possible to login through the browser, the issue would probably no longer exist, as wine opens the user’s default web browser properly.

I’ve tried logging in and can confirm that now instead of silently failing, studio simply warns the user webview has to be installed to log in. This screen can still be bypassed if you open studio by editing a place, allowing linux users to keep using studio, but it’s not an ideal fix.

I’d say that the current issue with Roblox Studio’s current usability issues in Linux can be summed up with “death by a thousand paper cuts”. Although the core functionality of studio works reasonably well, there are a lot of tiny issues that amount to a pretty bad user experience. There’s the webview login issue, there’s many weird behaviors with QT, Vulkan rendering currently doesn’t work properly, and some others, which is a shame because by comparison the Roblox client is completely flawless and currently has no notable issues whatsoever.

If Roblox is open to coordinating with the Linux community to get some of these issues diagnosed and fixed/mitigated, I’m sure many of us (including myself and people a lot more knowledgeable than me) would be more than willing to report our issues with studio on wine and potential fixes to fix or reduce their impact.

There’s some developers currently being held back on switching to Linux because of concerns with studio’s compatibility, finding out which of these issues can be fixed by Roblox without wasting precious engineering time will in the end allow more Roblox developers to choose Linux and improve reliability for existing Linux devs.

6 Likes

This may not work the same in the future for similar reasons as pointed out in my posts above. Encourage you folks to explore a solution so you can actually use the login workflow that initiates from Studio.

We won’t be able to make fixes specifically for Linux/Wine since we do not officially support it. I was simply inquiring if there’s small things we could do to make things easier here. One example would be to have a setting you can toggle to have Studio always open login in browser instead of in the web view. I’m not clear from your post here if this would actually solve your problem though.

EDIT: sorry think I misunderstood one part of your post. I think it makes sense the way you are using the “open studio by editing a place” currently.

1 Like

If it’s simply opening a page then “redirecting” back to studio with a protocol link, it should work just fine. I just came across a “Login with browser” option if I chose the edit option in the website (while logged in). I followed the process and ran into no issues while using it.

If this is available as an option in studio’s initial login screen as well, then Wine users should no longer have any issue logging in to studio.

Yes, that’s correct.

5 Likes

Hey folks, marking this as solution to the thread as we will not implement the request as described in the first post, for the reasons listed in my posts above.

I recommend to file separate topics for any UX issues and improvements you would like us to address.

2 Likes

This would absolutely resolve a lot of issues, including the one I have begun to experience as of today.

These new changes to the authentication process mean the login prompt appears only as a black box for me, and all of my attempts to diagnose or work around it have unfortunately had no positive impact. This has made my work impossible.

It is certainly quite a difficult situation, because on one hand, Roblox does not officially support Linux/Wine, but on the other hand there are a good number of people like me that do use Linux/Wine anyways (in big part because usually issues are possible to work around even if it’s hacky and means dealing with worse UX or digging really deep into fast flags and the registry, or overriding dlls). In this case, however, there don’t appear to be any workarounds. Studio has to initiate the login process, and if you can’t actually even see the login screen (or possibly interact with it at all, I can’t tell if it’s even initialized aside from the window, I tried clicking all over the place, and typing, and using tab/arrow keys) you can’t really do anything.

An option to automatically prompt a login from the web instead of showing the web view would very likely be a good enough workaround but it’s unfortunate.

1 Like

Could you post your issue as a separate feature request? Please make sure to post the proposed solution (setting to auto-prompt in browser for login) only as a footnote and not as the subject of your topic.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.