Release Notes for 580

Release Notes for 580
Release Notes 579 was skipped due to a rollback.

74 Likes

Finally it’s out! Can’t wait for those new instance apis! (They seem pretty useful…)

28 Likes

I look forward to learning whose workflow was broken by this.

26 Likes

It’s such a small change, but I’m super pumped if this is where AutoButtonColor for GuiButtons incorrectly show the idle color after clicking them, instead of the hover color. Been bugging me for years!! :tada:

This sounds really neat too, but I’m still waiting on Instance:GetProperties() heh.

38 Likes

Sometimes when using Workspace in MacOS, it crashes and I can’t drag things there anymore, then I have to restart studio or change the Parent of a object using the Properties window.

I thought they would fix this :frowning:

21 Likes

That cuts deep :smile:

@DucksAreYeIIow do :IsPropertyModified() and :ResetPropertyToDefault() refer to defaults set in Studio before runtime, or absolute defaults - what you would get with Instance.new()?

18 Likes

I still don’t get why this isn’t live despite when the behavior changes are live.

14 Likes

Disclaimer: I don’t have any skin in this decision nor would I likely be the person to implement an API like this. Also I’ve only given this a few moments of thought.

But I wonder if we’d want a method instead that lets you get a list of properties on abstract classes as well instead of a method on the Instances themselves. Adding Instance:GetProperties would be limiting in that regard.

29 Likes

Fix sound loading pls bruh :skull::skull::skull:

Why is this still broken?

You guys CAN’T break our games for MONTHS with every update and then refuse to elaborate especially since you guys decided to no longer compensate us when the games break due to y’alls incompetency

18 Likes

It uses the Instance.new() defaults. The insert object defaults are handled a bit weirdly and only exist in Studio.

24 Likes

This. An Instance:GetProperties() function would serve no real purpose as opposed to a per-class function. Would also help with real-time API dumping.

14 Likes

Is it a possibility to assign new defaults? For example Instance:SetPropertyToDefault(property, value), that’d benefit the value based instances a lot.

In reality it makes sense to complete the set right? Was the property modified? Should I reset it to the default value? What if I want to change the default value to be true instead of false? Sure you have workaround such at

-- ex; Val def needs to be true but roblox default is false
Val = not Val
12 Likes

For a long time this has been difficult to pull off but more rigid internal standardization of property mechanics recently combined with interest from some engineers means something like this may actually happen sooner rather than later.

35 Likes

Genuine question, what would be a use case for this? Couldn’t you just create an instance.Changed listener?

Does this allow threads pending an event:Wait() where the event’s instance is destroyed to be garbage collected? If so, this is a good change and I’m glad it’s finally resolved. If not, is it related to deferred event behaviour? What does it mean?

10 Likes

Finally its out, This is gonna be helpful

8 Likes

This is really cool, but assuming this skips the asset queue (or HttpQueue, don’t know its actual name), any chance that connection:Disconnect could be implemented as a parameter for TeleportService:TeleportAsync()? It would be nice to force players to teleport somewhere while not having to wait for the asset queue to finish. Places with large amounts of audios (or any other large files) usually have extremely delayed teleports, especially from players that have unstable or slow internet connections.

11 Likes

I don’t think this is related to networking. It’s related to RBXScriptConnections and events.

11 Likes

The improvements to Terrain:Clear() are great to see. Hopefully we get faster terrain networking too because loading in massive terrains can take a while, especially if everyone is trying to load them at once.

9 Likes

Waiting on the UI resize fixes after almost 2 months hurts.

Really wish I could get UI stuff done

13 Likes

What are some possible use cases of these methods then?
I assume they were made with a purpose(s) in mind, I’m just having a hard time imagining one myself.

8 Likes