Release Notes for 602

https://www.google.com/search?q=ACE+exploit

2 Likes

You must understand that relying on bugs and glitches isn’t at all futureproof. You shouldn’t be relying on these exploits for your game to function. And when they get patched, as with the case now, there really isn’t a reason to complain that this behavior is removed.

I do like R6 better than R15, but I’m quite happy that they’ve created an alternative for R6 that is supposedly supposed to replicate the same (non-buggy) behavior as the original R6. The old R6 had many problems, one of which were just the terrible naming of all the limbs, as well as the incompatibility with a variety of marketplace avatar items.

5 Likes

Off topic, but - was the buffer created partially in response to the limitations of manipulating large amounts of smooth terrain?

1 Like

Such a levelheaded take, cheers honestly. I regained a few braincells today.

Hyper realistic roblox VR car game??!!

1 Like

Yes, we received requests and examples where an ability to work with native types in a binary blob can help, like working with terrain data, sound data, custom replication and even compiling WASM to Luau.

Later, more internal cases came up for use in future APIs in various areas of the engine.

9 Likes

Please guys, don’t jump to conclusions:

The system doesn’t work for non-R15 rigs because the AI was trained on them, now it’ll be more obvious that that’s the case instead of it just giving you a junk, broken animation.

“ACE” in the context of Roblox Studio is short for “Animation Clip Editor”, a built-in plugin that let’s you animate rigs within Studio, not “Arbitrary Code Execution”. The page tries to clarify that by having "ACE - " at the beginning, to say that “This specific change is for the ACE (Animation Clip Editor)”, not “We fixed an ACE (Arbitrary Code Execution… exploit)”.

6 Likes

Oh my god, this is perfection and will fit nicely for my RISC-V VM on roblox. Tables have a lot of overheard when I benchmarked them and the fact buffers have a built in API for reading several data types makes it even better.

3 Likes

Totally fair, however I still think minimal updates like they’ve been doing for years could still work, the whole compatibility layer system from what I’ve seen just doesn’t work well enough at the moment to justify any kind of switch.

1 Like

I have the same emulation use case, and tables have a element limit, which forces you to chunk up tables into 64mb chunks. Currently it takes my chunked table implementation 0.5 - 1 second to create a table, but it uses a ton of memory. Buffers will solve all of this, and it will make my code more optimized (thanks to readu8, readu16, readu32, readu64)

2 Likes

This is intentional for now; we could flag these but we haven’t seen these result in bugs, so for now we warn only on decimal inputs and any syntax that implies floating point awareness (e for scientific notation or decimal separator) disables the warning even though technically there might still be a roundoff or overflow issue.

4 Likes

My apologies for the confusion! And thanks for clarifying it :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.