Release Notes for 605

Are you guys planning to add “Particle Collisions”?

7 Likes

“Too large to add onto the roadmap” (even tho you could probably get an intern to make it in a single day :pensive:

9 Likes

You are so real for this post.
This wasn’t always the case anyway. After an update not too long ago particles got significantly worse performantly, especially it seems, if lighting is interacting with the particles at all.

5 Likes

the scriptprofiler doesn’t seem to work for me anyways as it shows nothing

maybe that was before this patch and it seems to work now.

4 Likes

Will there ever be any plans to add type definitions to functions and types?

It would be very helpful to be able to add text to the autocomplete like there is on built-in functions but for our own functions and types.

If this were possible, the ApplyMorph function would show the function parameters and return type with the comment there as well.

Edit: To clarify, the functionality would be how you add definitions to functions in TypeScript:

14 Likes

These are my least favorite kinds of error output in the Roblox API—Failures that lead to a (potentially and almost always) spammy console output when an edge case is reached. It makes it hard to interpret more useful output during a playtest, and then come the complaints from producers because the goofy QA (Love ya) who hits every inconsequential edge case managed to cause an output spam that drowns out actual warnings or errors from malfunctioning code.

In this edge case I would expect it to just… do nothing and fail silently? Like what is the real point of a warning? Really dislike these, especially when roblox has no filterable log levels for stuff like this.

14 Likes

This.

Even worse is when they’re classified as errors when they shouldn’t actually be errors!?
I.e. the ‘animator failed to load’ error. Keeps spamming for our game. I’ve tried everything I can to mitigate it, but seemingly nothing works.

Luckily it doesn’t seem to affect anything. Why is it an error then?
Could be missing something, but I can’t see why…

8 Likes

YES. PLEASE. I would also really like to add text to the autocomplete. Sometimes, I forget the intricacies of a function and it would be nice to just read a description in another script instead.

5 Likes

can you make an autocorrect for textlabels that can detect basic grammar mistakes?

5 Likes

The full warning message (this is not an error) states that the assembly’s velocity did not change, so this could be seen as ambiguous or weird, unexplained behavior where trying to change something’s velocity just doesn’t work sometimes, and they want to notify you why it’s not working instead of leaving you confused.

5 Likes

The question isn’t really whether it can be done but how to do it performantly. I think particles just performing better in the first place is probably a way more important thing that should come before that though.

4 Likes

What. As if they havent fixed that yet.

3 Likes

There is function types
You can create a custom type or just Argument types and return type to your function

4 Likes

That’s not what I’m wanting. I want the comment above the function/type to show in the autocomplete like how there is for built-in functions.

4 Likes

I like this. Can make games which run on tons of functions and modules MUCH cleaner and easy to use for multiple developers. It will also benefit external libraries by a ton, without having to google the documentation or having to look at the source code itself.

5 Likes

You can add them to functions and it will autocomplete. But its not as intuitive as other languages and Code editors. With the @ params and adding documentation an all that.

1 Like

Correct me if I’m wrong, but this isn’t a feature of Roblox within Roblox Studio but a feature of Roblox LSP inside of VS Code. TaxFraud requests support for creating your own documentation directly within the studio with autocomplete suggestions. All these type annotations would do from a person looking at your code inside of studio is telling you more about the function, which while this has value, isn’t what he’s asking for.

2 Likes

This error appears only in the game itself (Not in the studio) + the owner of the game (My nephew) sees the error in the studio and the animation does not work for him.

1 Like

I’m sorry, but when bug with New chat cutting letters from messages bug will be fixed?

Maybe today, if client version 609 releases without issues.