New chat cuts last letters if you type fast

BUG DESCRIPTION:
You just can’t type fast with new chat. It will cut last 1-5 letters if you won’t wait 1-2 seconds.

REPRODUCTION STEPS:

1. Play ANY Roblox experience with new chat enabled. (example - Oaklands)

2. Rapidly type anything in chat, and then rapidly send message.
    (note: you will see your message typed in Input box correctly, but when you send it, it will have issue)

3. If done correctly, your message will lost 1-5 last letters.

EXPECTED BEHAVIOR:
I expect new chat to behave like old one - send full message, regardless of my typing speed (which is pretty high).
ACTUAL BEHAVIOR:
With my speed of typing, chat won’t output 1-5 last letters of message.
WORKAROUND:

1. Wait 1-2 seconds after message typed.
  2. Add some Spaces to the end.

ISSUE AREA: Player
ISSUE TYPE: Chat
IMPACT: High (because it disallows me to talk normally)
FREQUENCY: Constant

28 Likes

We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database, and we’ll follow up when we have an update!

Thanks for the report!

3 Likes

Hi, could you send a video showing this issue? I tried to reproduce this issue but can’t get this to happen. Also, under “frequency” you said “constant”, does this mean you’re encountering this issue with every single chat message you’re sending?

3 Likes

im also experiencing this

last 2 characters are cut off

imma try to send a video of the issue

EDIT: The video

@SubtleShuttle hope this helps to resolve the issue

have a good day

5 Likes

Sadly, my PC is so bad that it can’t handle any video recorder, so I can’t send video. Sorry. =
Yes, I encountering this issue constantly, if I don’t wait 1-2 seconds before pressing “Enter”, or add 5-10 spaces at end.

2 Likes

I feel like I’ve gone through this as well, but it might be on a place-by-place basis or situational depending on one’s internet connection. It seems like somehow the string sent to the server doesn’t keep up with the string kept track of on the client in these cases.

3 Likes

Something to do with the TextBox.FocusLost event I believe, or more specifically the parameter that determines whether the return key was pressed.

2 Likes

Same happening here.

Thought it was my device…

2 Likes

This issue is still present. If you artificially lower your frame rate or are in a somewhat laggy game, the issue occurs more than usual. Otherwise, you should be able to reproduce it by typing extremely fast. Could you please try looking into this further? If there’s any more repro details you need, let me know.

2 Likes

Additionally, it seems to be coming from lag as well, as observed in this thread: TextChatService is now the default for new experiences! - #173 by bewarethepaws

4 Likes

I have been caught up in the lag issues with the chat so many times that I actually got a warning because the word I wrote was cut off at a point that it turned out to be bad. Please get this fixed. It’s extremely annoying when you are a fast typer.

Btw, the word was assist.

7 Likes

Still an ongoing issue, and obviously no follow up from Roblox. I wonder how much longer it’ll take them to fix this.

5 Likes

I think it’s caused by the TextBox.Text value not being updated fast enough.
Also, if you lag, like when loading a game, it worsens to the point that on a sentence of 30 letters, like “hey man, wait for me i’m still loading!” it sends “h”, or nothing at all.
The lag doesn’t even need to be that bad, like 50 FPS instead of 60.
Might just be me though.

Not related to TextBox itself 100%, cuz old chat works fine. It uses same Instance type - TextBox.

2 Likes

@WheretIB Going to mention you as somewhat of a last resort here as this report has been totally abandoned by @SubtleShuttle. You responded to some other threads relating to issues with the chat & it’s performance so you might be able to help with this, but apologies if not.

Could you look into this/have it’s priority raised internally? It’s super disappointing how this still hasn’t been fixed months after the original report being filed.

1 Like

I was only able to get it at 5fps (and I thought I was typing pretty fast).
Will be taking a look at why this happens.

7 Likes

I have low FPS constantly, and chat makes things worse a lot. Hope this will be fixed soon!

1 Like

We have found the source of the issue and are working on resolving it.

5 Likes

Thank you so much - the quick fix is highly appreciated. :innocent:

Any updates? Still encountering the issue to this day, doesn’t seem like it’s been fixed/changed at all so far.

4 Likes