Release Notes for 629

Hi everyone, and happy June 13. We’re just one week away from the northern hemisphere’s summer solstice, the longest day of the year for approximately 90% of us. This variability in the length of our days, humanity’s ability to quite literally take the dark with the light as we move through the seasons, is just one of the many advantages of living on a planet with an axial tilt.

Known issue: Some release notes are indeed being duplicated week over week. We’re looking into it.

65 Likes

Love to see OSS contributions.

It feels weird that this is not on StudioService. I kinda understand the reasoning, but it feels weird.

7 Likes

release note 629 is the release that made history, the bug has tormented my team and I and now we can say, we got through the horrible times.

22 Likes

FYI, no further stuff will be added to StudioService.

There’s some cases like this where it feels like it kind of might make sense, but the issue is that when we allow putting stuff on StudioService, it’s too easy to justify something being on it, and it ends up being a cluttered dumping ground.

7 Likes

I feel like I’d very much rather have a cluttered service than a bunch of API scattered around the world, but okay. Thanks for the heads up.

19 Likes

Its finally fixed??? This has bothered me so much for so long, thank god!

6 Likes

The tonemapper stuff looks cool, was there a reason why developers cant define their own tonemaps?

Regarding the OpenAttenuationCurveEditor API, could we see more datatype editors accessible from plugins, such as Color3 or NumberSequence.

also you will not hide ui drag detectors from me. hehe.

14 Likes

This took you guys too long to fix…

8 Likes

…so that’s why that never worked? this whole time i thought i was just tripping or something holy hell

4 Likes

can someone explain this to me, i rlly wanna know what this means

4 Likes

Huge QoL improvement between these two fixes.

Coincidently, these two behaviors were really starting to irk me yesterday while I was writing a more conservative Debris alternative. I hope this also implies that the explorer will no longer expand when instances are added during run testing.

14 Likes

Selecting Workspace will no longer highlight it, including from collaborators in Team Create.

Bless this one so much, no more accidental coffee breaks.

8 Likes

basically for a type union/intersection you can now do type union<A,B> = | A | B, when the first | would normally be a syntax error
while it seems useless at first it makes long typedefs separated by newlines much cleaner since the first line can also have a | or & at the beginning instead of looking inconsistent

1 Like

Bonus: I have changes in next week’s release which will make selection efficient enough that it would still work with reasonable perf even if it did still get highlighted.

12 Likes

Out of curiosity - would this be a change in how highlight instances work, or the internal process for selecting the workspace objects?

3 Likes

Improvements to highlights (among other things). Though the improvements in question won’t make a noticeable difference for developer usage of highlights.

TL;DR: There was O(N^2) complexity in the number of highlights being removed. With developer created highlights, there are at most 32, so this was never an issue. But you deselect a lot of stuff in Studio, there potentially thousands of internal highlights being removed and that O(N^2) complexity resulted in really bad perf when deselecting stuff (that’s why you got more hangs on deselecting stuff than on selecting it).

11 Likes

Alright!!! Now we’re talking!

4 Likes

Interesting…

7 Likes

Added a Volume property to AudioPlayer and AudioDeviceInput for the new Audio API to easily change playback volume and input device volume

Finally.

3 Likes

:heart:
any updates regarding the highlight limit being 31?

6 Likes