Release Notes for 631

phenomenal

27 Likes

I’d love to hear some more about the optimizations made. Always love seeing improvements like this.

18 Likes

A lot of people will be happy with this

16 Likes

Optimizes collisions for complicated meshes.

Hopefully this reduces server memory, I struggle with it.

(if anyone has any tips message me!)

10 Likes

Since the security was changed from None to RobloxScriptSecurity, it still is not scriptable. Wished it was though.

Anyways the release notes look neat as always.

But what type of highlight is this referring to?

7 Likes

i can’t get the @native attribute to work in roblox, only @checked; is it disabled or something? on a standalone install of luau it works fine

10 Likes

this is a new luau feature that’ll allow you to declare a function as being natively compiled via prefixing it with @native, it doesn’t seem to work yet but it’ll probably be enabled pretty soon

8 Likes

wait what, luau attributes? what did i miss here.

7 Likes

attributes rfc

10 Likes

Make them accurate as well please…

10 Likes

What the hell? We can’t set it by ourselves anymore?

7 Likes

You can still set it through the properties window:

The changes I displayed had to do with the fact that CoreScripts can access the property now (where as no scripts could access it before)

6 Likes

Best guess is that the native attribute is behind a fflag and checked is not.

6 Likes

what kind of changes will this make to meshes? is this just lightening the memory usage when meshes collide or will this help make mesh collisions more accurate? I feel the latter has been an unresolved problem for a long time.

9 Likes

Thanks for the correction. As far as I was aware, not even Studio’s property window could modify such high-security properties. Guess I was wrong.

6 Likes

glad this has been fixed, it was really really annoying so i had to make my own fix for it

10 Likes

The Roblox Explorer window is not a Lua plugin, it’s part of Studio so it runs on engine level and can modify anything. I heard there was some work on making the explorer a Lua plugin instead and this lighting change might’ve been a part of it (since plugins can’t edit non-scriptable properties)

9 Likes

If it’s a Roblox signed plugin then it can access RobloxScriptSecurity, unsure about the non-scriptable ones. Also, I didn’t mention anything about the explorer.

8 Likes

Sorry, confused the explorer with the property window. Treat “explorer” in my previous reply as the properties panel.

What I meant is that the property panel is not a plugin, it’s a part of the Roblox Studio engine, so it can access non-scriptable properties. A Roblox signed plugin can access RobloxScriptSecurity properties but not non-scriptable ones. So what I meant is that they likely made Lighting.Technology not non-scriptable in preparation for transitioning the properties window to a plugin.

8 Likes

Super happy to hear Player:Move() no longer spams anymore, it makes the dev console unreadable especially for UI only games.

And that dev console server mode command line not working being fixed I’m also happy about, it’s been really frustrating to use.

7 Likes