Releasing Character Physics Controllers

I’m afraid I’ve been misinterpreted, the cylinder is to add collisions with walls and other entities, it’s not supposed to make the controller stand on the ground, i knew how GroundController worked.
I’ll also take this opportunity to ask, is the aim of this new controllers to also enable developers to create more optimized versions of humanoid, or is it simply a more modular alternative? (with the extra physics based features of course)

1 Like

Are these with any plans to revive the Avatar Evolution project that removed the Humanoid instance and completed scripted a Rig that acted as a Humanoid object would?

Worrying seeing all the Instance names being alike to the Luanoid version you setup below.

EDIT:

As this project is no longer working with their Studio Build version, here is a video of a Luanoid Rig from 2020, still upholding the 2018 rig design which removed the Humanoid object all-together.

3 Likes

Can somebody implement seat and reset/respawn behavior?

1 Like

I got respawning to work. Now have to make that compatible with other scripts.

It’s quite literally a journey to code together one’s own physics controller, it’s mindblowing how far we’ve come in terms of customization.

2 Likes

I found that changing the Humanoid’s state to Dead made it compatible with most scripts.

4 Likes

Uhm, it I ??? It’s spazzing out like all hell…

I don’t have the slightest clue of whats going on with the character controller. Enemy AI doesn’t directly interact with anything only the movement module interacts with the root part and the controllers and once the kill switch gets used it’s disabled.
At first I thought it was my script being weird but after disabling it the bug persisted.
Scripting time and bugs.rbxl (68.4 KB)

3 Likes

This looks cool, but I’m wondering about if we will be able to make like tank controller with this? I’m trying to make it in my game and maybe i can try to do it with this but i don’t know how to do it… Like W for going forward and S backward without rotating the character orientation, and use A D to rotate model :smiley:
Looks cool!

4 Likes

LOL. no you can’t use this to make tank controller. This is used for making character controller(the player movement).

5 Likes

Its possible to remove bounce? like when i put a strong vector force on player and it collides with a wall i destroy the vector force but the player bounce on the wall

2 Likes

You could if you rigged a tank model. You can set the root part of the ControllerManager to the RootPart of the tank, and with some tweaking it should be maneuverable.

You might have to make your own control scripts and state system though

1 Like

Does/will this system support root motion animations?

2 Likes

Has anyone else experienced camera jitter when moving the camera and controlling the character at the same time? It’s really visible when animations are disabled, like in the video below. I have eliminated any of my code being the cause and I only used the two given scripts to enable to new controller in a blank project.

1 Like

This might be a little too late to ask for, but I was wondering if instead of acceleration time and deceleration time, having acceleration rate and deceleration rate as properties was considered.
This is because I realized that using accel time punishes slower movements like walking as opposed to running, since both takes up same amount of time to reach the maximum speed, but walking itself is already a slow movement which makes it feels overly sluggish. Because of this, I couldn’t use this new property and instead had to manually detect the movement inputs and update the movement speed. For this reason, I think it would be nice if I could set acceleration rate instead, so that character can reach walking speed almost instantaneously while still taking a moment for fast movements like running to reach its maximum speed.

How do you even get it to stand upright like that???

I just used the two scripts included in the main post and then to disable the animations so you can really see the jitter I played a blank animation pose with higher priority than the other animations on my character.

UPDATE!

Happy to share we now have a ControllerManager Set Up Guide on the developer hub:

Also, we have fixed the GroundController floor destroy bug (@focasds @kylepo99 )
And made some small performance improvements to Humanoids that have EvaluateStateMachine turned off.

7 Likes

Thank you for letting us know about the changes, and documentation has also made it easier for me to achieve what I want, thank you so much for these features.

Specially GroundController which is what I wanted to not have a spam of Raycast on my end…

Thank you.

1 Like

from the bottom of my heart, thank you very much for this feature
competitive games will benefit much more from this change
<3

1 Like

With EvaluateStateMachine set to false, it seems the humanoid is still changing the CanCollide property of newly parented parts and of all the parts when the character is first parented to workspace.

1 Like

There’s a weird problem where my character keeps momentum when turning left, but loses all momentum when turning right.

Here’s the properties of my GroundController and ControllerManager if it helps any:

Here’s a reply someone sent in the beta topic which is the same thing thats happening to me, although they have much more extreme values and this was 3 months ago

7 Likes