Releasing Character Physics Controllers

I just noticed that a MoveTo function and a MoveToFinished event aren’t included in this release despite being an important and probably one of the most used features in a Humanoid. MoveDirection isn’t enough as now I have to track myself with a loop the distance between the goal position and check if the object passed the given position since there is no way to specify where and when it should stop.

If it comes up, please don’t make it work like the Humanoid which stops prior to reaching it’s destination, I want it to work just like an AlignPosition. I wouldn’t be requesting this if PerAxis on the AlignPosition were to work using those huge numbers that never align to create a linear velocity like the Humanoid when it moves.

I wish a Universal Mover were to exist instead of 15 Instances floating around that you must combine to create something. Hide many functionalities behind Enabled properties and stuff like that…

2 Likes

i’m finding that the new physics controllers are making humanoids far bouncier than before, any ideas on how to reduce how bouncy humanoids are? i’ve tried reducing the elasticity on the humanoid’s body parts but it doesn’t seem to make a difference

old behaviour:

new behaviour:

6 Likes

While utilizing the new controllers for enemy AI, ive run into some huge problems where the server and client go out of sync.

Check this post

2 Likes

For some reason, with this system, people get kicked because they “lose connection” when they die

1 Like

Follow the Documentations setup process
use Studio Test mode with 2 players
Spawn in both players
Duplicate one of the characters
The server will crash and all players will lose connection

3 Likes

With controller manager, is it possible to assign 2d shirts and pants and apply accessories to the characters without Humanoid instance?

3 Likes

I’m having some issues with this on mobile. There are a lot of crashes and when I try to touch a PC player on mobile, both players crash and seemingly can’t play again (I’m not sure how long this will last).

It seems to crash whenever this happens “Infinite yield possible on 'Workspace.Player2:WaitForChild(“ControllerManager”)”. Also on mobile when it doesn’t crash the player is just standing still stuck.

Can we get an update on when mobile / console will be ready for this? I’m really eager to test my upcoming game on mobile! :smiley:

The mobile/console release is finished, so you should be fine to use across all experiences now.

5 Likes

This.

Instant crash when playing with 2 players.
This is on an empty baseplate, using the provided instructions (file for convenience, but it really is just those 2 scripts lol test_movement.rbxl (56.3 KB))

Reproduction: use studio test mode with 2 players, or join in game with 2 players.
Errors: no errors, the server just crashes silently instantly after the second player spawns in.

Expected result: having more than 1 player using the physics controllers shouldn’t crash the server :sweat_smile:.

Anyways, this is very awesome and aside from this game breaking bug, it seems to work perfectly.
Thanks for these handy physics controllers.

CC @kleptonaut

EDIT: if this is of any use: not parenting the ground controller sensor seems to ‘fix’ it. Obviously at the cost of disabling movement.

2 Likes

Thanks for the fix! I was able to just replace the sensor with a regular raycast and now everything is fine.

1 Like
  1. When the character turns, it overshoots and then corrects itself. I can solve this by reducing the turn factor, but what if I want the character to turn faster? I’ve tried maximizing friction and minimizing the density of mesh parts in the character model, still didn’t work.

2. When I use humanoid:Move (inside of a function bound to render step), the character tries to auto-orient even if I’ve disabled auto-rotate on the humanoid. It keeps enabling auto-rotate automatically.

It is a character that uses bones and every part in the model has its CanCollide, CanQuery, and CanTouch disabled. The character’s height is approximately 3.5 times that of the default Roblox
R15 rig.

The thick debug lines show the root part’s rotation.

my server keeps crashing when theres 2 or more players ingame when their character gets aded

1 Like

mind sharing the ground sensor workaround? Literally whole project is on hold bc of that crash lol

Found some workarounds, in the end even if you make whole controller manager on client side, the client has probably like 35% crash chance when spawning in, same goes for a player joining in.
did roblox even tested this???

@kleptonaut

Just want to quickly announce that the multiplayer join server crash should be getting a fix in this week!

It is related to having the ControllerManager.GroundSensor assigned. If you leave it unassigned or set it to “Manual” mode it should work around the crash

1 Like

Manual still manages to crash the game.
regardless of it being client sided or server sided

oh and other sensors tend to crash too, like climbing and etc.
please fix it asap, my whole project is on hold because of this.

The crash should now be fixed, thanks for everyone’s patience
@Nebelous555 @internationalgyall @apenzijncoolenleuk1

2 Likes