Remind the author of the DOs & DON'Ts when starting a discussion

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to find worthy discussions to contribute to, because of all the out-of-scope topics that aren’t a discussion at all.

My experience gets disturbed by topics like:

• Moderation inquiries for a single person (such as “is this allowed?” and “why am I banned for …?”)
  • Support inquiries (such as “How can I change the name of my group?”, “Question about voice chat”, “Is this happening to anyone else?” and “How do I become a Roblox QA tester?”)
  • Other inquiries for a specific person, and not an open discussion (such as “I am struggling to find any developers” and “I have a build that lags, how can I solve this lag?”
  • Bugs & feature requests (often also acknowledging they know they’re posting in the wrong category; topics such as “Mobile app lua compiler” & “Website player glitch”)

Those topics are just some in my flagging history, my side job became flagging discussions threads apparently…

I feel like those authors don’t want to intentionally break rules. They are just inexperienced with the DevForum’s rules and guidelines, and mistakes can always happen. Henceforth, a reminder of what is allowed & what is not allowed can avoid these out-of-scope threads.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my experience using the forum because I can spend my time actually discussing instead of flagging. I like writing up flags, but I love discussing more.

A proposed solution is to add DOs & DON’Ts to the thread template. Include that bug & feature requests, moderation & support inquiries and other out-of-scope topics aren’t welcome at Development Discussion.

I don’t want to blame DET (DevEngagementTeam) in any way, they’ve responded to all my flags within 72 hours and they took action 99% of the time. This request will have positive impact on their efficiency, as contributors have to think twice before continuing, which might result in less posts requiring intervention.

13 Likes

Just yesterday I had been thinking that when the Devforum reopens promotions from Member to Regular, there needs to be more scrutiny for the user to prove their practice of Devforum etiquette.

I especially think more needs to be done to encourage users to search topics before creating new ones.

Although some questions like “how much violence/gore is too much” are valid due to vague terminology, I often find that the OP’s answer is already clearly outlined in the Community Rules. Perhaps the “your topic is similar to…” window can provide a link to the Terms of Use and Community Rules when detecting these types of topics, but the user is still responsible for checking the rules before asking about them.

2 Likes