RemoteEvent make countdown for the player called the event [Stop Client Exploiting]

Hello.
In fact right now the countdown system I do it in localscript on the player, the problem is that I know that you should never believe the client so I am trying to find a solution for it to be the server script which make a countdown but I can’t find it. I use a RemoteEvent

So I’m not trying anything except using “wait” even if I suspected that it was not going to work, and in fact it did not work
This is my actual Script for the remoteEvent

-- Script Created By Med Studio
local Rep = game.ReplicatedStorage.Stand
local RepModels = game.ReplicatedStorage.StandModels
game:GetService('TestService'):Message("Stand Script Developed By Med Studio")

local StandSettings = game.ServerStorage.StandSettings
local StandMoveVersion = StandSettings.MovingSystemVersion.Value
local StandMoveV1 = game.ServerStorage.StandTemplate.v1
local StandMoveV2 = game.ServerStorage.StandTemplate.v2

-- Open Event
Rep.RemoteEvent.Open.OnServerEvent:Connect(function(plr)

end)

--GetRandomStandID Event
Rep.RemoteEvent.GetRandomStandID.OnServerEvent:Connect(function(plr)

end)

--RemoveStandID Event
Rep.RemoteEvent.RemoveStandID.OnServerEvent:Connect(function(plr)

end)

I removed all code in the Event but all event work good

Depending on what the countdown is used for, I don’t really see the issue with handling it on the client, if it isn’t going to cause immense harm by it being skipped than accounting for exploits in that regard isn’t entirely necessary.

As for handling the countdown on the server, you should be using RemoteFunctions as opposed to RemoteEvents so that the client can receive a returned value upon the countdowns completion that essentially tells it to proceed with whatever code was waiting.

1 Like

Thank you I hadn’t thought about using the RemoteFunction but I have another question, how can I know the time it takes for such a player.

I’m not entirely sure what you mean, could you elaborate?

Okay, I’m going to try to do it in detail. So I have a local script which when you press a key on your keyboard call the RemoteEvent, currently the countdown is on the localscript so an exploit could easily bypass it and I would like to set the countdown on the server script for completely stop the exploiter

Sry if my english is bad

Alright, well, to put it simply, you could track the time a players countdown has through a variable in the RemoteFunction “processing function”, or you could store it in an external value somewhere and view it’s value at any time.

I’m not sure I understood that, it may have been a while since I used the RemoteFunction and Event. Could you explain it in more detail?

Imagine you have a function that reads like this:

script.Function.OnServerInvoke = function(Time)
   repeat wait(1) Time = Time - 1 until Time <= 0
   return
end)

“Time” in this scenario, before the repeat loop, would be the total time a players countdown has. You could transfer this into a Number/IntValue or you could send it elsewhere in the script upon the functions inception.

Huh, sorry I’m not sure I understand, I have to create an intValue in the player to keep track of the time? Otherwise with a documentation link or a roblox post that could help me

You can either create an IntValue to store it externally, or you can process the “Time” variable elsewhere outside of the OnServerInvoke function.

i.e:

script.Function.OnServerInvoke = function(Player, Time)
   local IntValue = Instance.new("IntValue")
   IntValue.Value = Time
   IntValue.Name = Player.Name.."Countdown"
   return
end)

So imagine that I call your event with the temp “30” what will happen?

I can’t understand the variable time

That line of code simply subtracts a second from the “Time” variable until “Time” reaches 0.

Okay, and after it return it ? So how i can detect if is the time for the player

The Player is automatically sent as the first argument of RemoteEvents and RemoteFunctions.

Okay, well I appreciate that I’m just doing an if = 0 with the return of the Function.
But There is one thing that I do not understand, if the event is called by several players in my short time or almost it will not be a problem?

There will be no problems no matter how many players invoke the RemoteFunction because calling an Event creates a new thread in the script - it wouldn’t pause anything except things waiting on the countdown which you would want anyway.

@TerryMichaelBrunk Okay ! thx i will try it and give you return if is not working

U make a fail the end of Remotefunction don’t need “)”

@TerryMichaelBrunk i try to make this but just give me error.

IntValue.Value = Time
   IntValue.Name = Player.Name.."Countdown"
   return
end

game.ReplicatedStorage.callMeHeh.OnServerEvent:Connect(function(plr)
 	if game.Players[plr.Name]:FindFirstChild(plr.Name.."Countdown").Value == 0 then
	print("Time is 0");
	end
	script.Function:InvokeServer(30)
end)

Wait im dump the countdown d’ont existe yes ?

You are trying to identify the value without setting it’s parent - something I left out of the original code since I was unaware with how you were handling the values.

if not Player:FindFirstChild("Countdown") then
      IntValue.Value = Time
      IntValue.Name = "Countdown"
      IntValue.Parent = Player
   end
   return
end

if game.Players[plr.Name]:FindFirstChild("Countdown").Value == 0 then
	print("Time is 0");
	end
end)

Try this instead.

1 Like

@TerryMichaelBrunk actually not working :confused: I edited for create the value in a custom Floder but with that or without is not woking

script.Function:Invoke(1)
   if not Player:FindFirstChild("Countdown") then
      IntValue.Value = Time
      IntValue.Name = "Countdown"
      IntValue.Parent = Player.DataStore
   end
   return
end

if game.Players[plr.Name].DataStore:FindFirstChild("Countdown").Value == 0 then
	print("Time is 0");
	end
end)

And i changed RemoteFunction For binable becose studio don’t let me execute RemoteFunction in server script