Removal of Guest Mode

Ironically when I was signed in one day I went to play that Injustice game. I have no idea why but it set me as a guest when I was clearly logged in. I don’t know why this occurred but bugged players isn’t out of the question - just not that ad game.

4 Likes

AFAIK on Android it’s definitely possible to play using really old versions by installing the APK from outside Google Play. I know that because our Google Analytics constantly had bizarre errors logged like “upVector is not a member of Vector3” that only made sense once I realized it was players using old clients that didn’t have those.

7 Likes

Yeah. Android no longer has forced updates iirc.

4 Likes

When are they going to be removed entirely?

It has been five whole months since this was announced and for now I’m just treating people joining as guests as either using really outdated and insecure software (which is bad anyways for them and for me) or doing so for malicious intentions.

Either way, for the game and the user’s security, I’m kicking all guests joining my games. There’s no point on handling side cases anymore when such cases were officially announced as removed.

32 Likes

Yeah, I was tracking some stats yesterday, and to my surprise it appeared to include guests still. Not sure how this hasn’t been officially removed yet.

Actual stats I found yesterday in one of my games:
Of 4,200 people, 19 of them were different users using the guest system

3 Likes

For some reason, guests haven’t been fully removed yet.
https://devforum.roblox.com/t/guests-still-exist/81639/7

The best solution, for now, is to just kick guests rather than trying to make your game(s) compatible for guests.

3 Likes

Thing is, would developers still be penalised for restricting guests from joining their games, as many developers, including myself, have been moderated for restricting these guest accounts.

Would be nice to get some clarification on the issue.

4 Likes

You actually got moderated for doing that? Didn’t know that…

6 Likes

Yeah, they wanted to ensure that everyone could play games on the platform, and the game got put under review because of this.

5 Likes

When was this?

1 Like

Around October of last year.

1 Like

Guests are still roaming about my game, and there appears to be a method for Guest Accounts to gain admin privileges on certain admin command scripts. Why can’t the Guest endpoints be removed?

3 Likes

See here: (note this was already linked in this thread before)
https://devforum.roblox.com/t/guests-still-exist/81639/7

They will be removed once the amount of old clients that can still use guest mode is sufficiently low / zero.

2 Likes

What devices have older clients still? Desktop automatically updates, and iOS/Android prevent gameplay if the client is out of date.

7 Likes

STOP INTRODUCING NEW FEATURES IF GUEST ARE NOT REMOVED

GROUP TELEPORTS DO NOT SUPPORT GUEST YET HERE THEY ARE (Desktop)

22 Likes

Phantom Forces has shown that Roblox doesn’t mind if you kick all guests, so implement that in the meantime.

game.Players.PlayerAdded:connect(function(player)
    if player.UserId < 0 then
        player:Kick("Guests are not allowed.")
    end
end)

Although, yes, I agree. Guests still existing is unreasonable.

13 Likes

The past couple days Roblox has been extremely slow for me, now I’m joining games 5-10 min after I click play AND as a guest …

23 Likes

Several of my users have experienced this bug.

4 Likes

Okay, it’s been a year since this post. The excuse of mobile devices being outdated can’t apply anymore. Why is the functionality still in place?

29 Likes

I really rely on TeleportPartyAsync for one of my games. It’s really annoying having to support for guests when they should have been removed over a year ago.

Why did guests never work with the method in the first place?

8 Likes