Removal of Guest Mode

Hey Developers,

Some of you may have already noticed that we recently removed “Guest Mode” on Roblox. This means that users will no longer be able to play games as a guest on mobile or desktop platforms.

We think this is a great change for our developers as we’ve found that removing this mode of play increases the number of users playing with registered accounts. As you know, guests cannot do many of the things on Roblox that add value for users and developers including:

• Saving progress in games.
  • Chatting.
  • Playing with friends.
  • Purchase items in your games.
  • Providing feedback on your games such as; Liking, Disliking or Favorite.

Requiring users to sign-up will ensure that new users have access to the full set of Roblox’s features, which we know helps us retain those users longer.

What does this mean for you as a developer?
An increase in registered users will drive more visits, increased revenue and player engagement in your Roblox games.

How does this improve the first time user experience?
This will encourage first time players to use our social and interactive features with other users.

We are constantly looking for ways to improve and enhance the Roblox platform for both players and developers.

Our team will update this thread once guest mode is completely disabled on all platforms.

Thanks,
Developer Relations Team

286 Likes

End of an era ;(

However, this feels like the right move.

141 Likes

Woah

Roblox is ever changing

37 Likes

Gonna miss guests

<(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)> Kirby Dance!

63 Likes

Gonna miss those little guys, but it is definitely the right move long-term.

37 Likes

While I oppose this I see why it has to be done. Farewell nice guests. :slight_smile:

41 Likes

ROBLOX has been on a roll surprising us with changes we never thought we’d see. Keep up the good work!

36 Likes

Sort of surprising seeing guests finally be removed after being a part of the platform for a long time. Especially since a toy of the Roblox guest was released as part of the toy series!

48 Likes

A good move to be honest. Though I will miss the cute little guys.
Time to change my name to Guest something to honor the loss.

14 Likes

Bit of a shame to see them take their trip away from Roblox, but I suppose that’s how things end.

Will also be nice for both developers not having to worry about setting their game up to work with guest accounts, and users no longer using guests to cause havoc, without worrying about someone reporting them.

20 Likes

Farewell to the days of spying on your friends/enemies for the latest gossip

Literally there was this guy who would always talk smack about me and I would sneak into his game and listen to what he was saying, although it was obvious the guest was me lol

34 Likes

Great update - goes to show how widespread and popular Roblox has become that guests aren’t needed for first impressions anymore.

12 Likes

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fishes! I’ll miss these guests.

5 Likes

They were cute while they lasted.

19 Likes

…now I have to sign in on my phone to test my game on mobile >:(

26 Likes

Guests :frowning:

7 Likes

RIP. I still remember the first game I played as a guest, the OG TheAmazeman’s titanic. I got encouraged to sign up by the pestering and here I am now.

18 Likes

I am actually pretty happy about this. Guests were a pain to develop for, and a pain to play with. Add in the fact they can’t be moderated if they do something wrong, and they were more painful then beneficial.

25 Likes

Makes sense but I’m really going to miss seeing them in games. :frowning:

12 Likes

Same here, cute little guys.

6 Likes