Removal of Guest Mode

So long and thanks for all the ROOTs.

5 Likes

Finally, thought it would never happen.

:slight_smile:

I remember playing as a guest in Welcome to ROBLOX Building (may that game rest in peace), and register from there. Not sure what would happen instead if guests weren’t a thing.

You join as a guest on your pc, do your game, and your progress is saved.
You log off.
The next day, you log in again as a guest and are assigned a different ID.
System defeated.

But talking about DataStores, my survey system ended up displaying at a Guest, and he filled it :joy::joy:

As a player, they’re going to be missed. I remember yesterday a guest winning a rap battle. Don’t ask me why. :rofl::rofl:
As a developer, I am not either happy or sad. Yes, of course we now can handle all players the same way (I don’t need to make my scripts have different behaviour to guests), but I had some nice concepts in my head to do so.

6 Likes

Heh, part of me is happy that they’re gone, but a smaller part of me is going to miss them.

1 Like

I wasn’t talking about their UserId, I was talking about a unique generated key. Perhaps if they really cared about their data they could save the key, it could only be used once but it would work for them or a friend.

1 Like

I will miss the guest but in a part way they are taking the mysterious character that cant chat, yes now some players need to find another player to call “noob”… but its a good move.

3 Likes

What a big change, but one that should happen. Goodbye guest era.

2 Likes

Meh, the only thing that will change for me is that I won’t need to do player.UserId > 0 anymore.

I will miss guests, though. Really liked them.

And I will also miss changing my cookies to get in-game as Guest 666 (lol).

6 Likes

We are forever gonna miss them little players. They really were what we are in a sense that even I started playing this as a Guest in 2009 before starting an actual account (not this one)

3 Likes

RIP Was a Guest from 2012 - 2015, long live the Guest !!!

1 Like

You’d be surprised at how much even having a signup process can deter users. Every time I search for something on Google and hit a “Sign up for a free account to see this webpage” I immediately close out of it and look at another search result.

It’d be nice if ROBLOX could implement this to partially negate that though as you suggested. For instance, don’t even make it seem like they’re creating an account:

<- User clicks play while not logged in
-> “Step 1/2: What display name do you want to use?”
<- “EchoReaper”
-> “Step 2/2: Great! Let’s secure your save data:”
<- Enter/confirm password
-> Congrats! <opens game>

24 Likes

This would be a nice solution. As the email address provided in registration does not have to be verified to play games I feel like they could, instead of asking for an email address upon registration, use some other sort of prompt to remind users that they’d unlock more features with a confirmed email address.

A lot of Roblox’s users are young children. Personally I know of members of my own family who (without my guidance whatsoever) found Roblox and started playing at the age of six. Children this young do not have email addresses to begin with, so I can see where a mandatory email address field on registration could be a deterrent. Especially since they are going to think that it has to be a valid email address.

As for age I think there are some legal requirements to ask for the users’ age to for certain feature, however, if we were to assume that their age is under thirteen before they have confirmed their email address I feel like Roblox could bypass asking that question on registration as well.

7 Likes

That’s a shame, it means I can’t go incognito and make other users rage at the ‘guests’ in Phantom Forces. D=

No more pro-guesting I guess.
lolwut?

3 Likes

I remember when I was little I used to ask my Mum for her email address so I could play games, I think one was ‘farmville’, and hotwheels.com.
Hehe, gosh that takes me back.

But as mentioned, most players of roblox are very young, most won’t know what an email address is, and some may not even know their birth date - so this can be a deterant, as EchoRepear said.

Age could be added later, like email, and ROBLOX could simply presume the new account is under 13.

2 Likes

To be completely honest with you I feel like that’s one of the first things people learn. You’ve got to be able to read rather proficiently to use the internet. You don’t learn to read before you learn your birth date.

I’m not disagreeing with your point here, just found that claim interesting.

1 Like

At least I met Guest 1 that one time. good guy

4 Likes

I’m with you, EchoReaper. Creating a new account fills me with a tiny bit of resentment each time. We have ways around this these days!

Even better, IMO:
<- User clicks play while not logged in
-> "Step 1/2: Sign in with your google or facebook account
<- User signs in with already established credentials
-> “Step 2/2: Great! What user name would you like to use?”
<- AxeOfMen
-> Congrats!

Any time a user is spared the hassle of another important password to remember is another opportunity to make the world a better place.
In 2010 (that’s 7 years ago), Jeff Atwood of StackOverflow blogged about why we should all be doing this:
https://blog.codinghorror.com/your-internet-drivers-license/
He’s got a lot to say on the topic of passwords and how terrible the ecosystem is. Google “Jeff Atwood Passwords” to see more.

2 Likes

In like 2013 I saw Guest 5 and freaked out, I still have a pic on an old computer somewhere
lol good times

2 Likes

Goodbye guests, Hello bacon alts!

21 Likes

The rise has begun

3 Likes