Remove 60 FPS Cap

If your computer is capable of running it, there should be a hidden setting that allows you to remove frame caps. With VR being able to run at a higher refresh rate than the average ROBLOX client, why not just let PCs that can handle it run higher? Maybe it could be some sort of experimental feature that you have to go through Studio to get, but having 120+ FPS ROBLOX would make the experience so much smoother.

269 Likes

I’m curious – if you go above 60 FPS in games like Skyrim and Fallout 4, the physics go haywire because the physics are tied to the framerate.

I wonder if the reason why they have a cap is because the physics are tied to the framerate

32 Likes
  1. I’m not sure the difference between 60fps and 120fps is that noticeable for most people.

2. This should only happen if we are able to turn on V-Sync. Some other games that I run at higher than 60ps have pretty bad screen tearing and it would make running at higher FPS pointless for a lot of people.

3. A constant 60fps is arguably better than highs of 120fps but with much larger frame rate drops and stuttering.

but 4) I agree that choice is good and that for VR, higher than 60fps is desireable.

All in all I’d like the cap to be removed, but I’m not convinced it is a hugely advantageous thing to do.

13 Likes

VR already runs at a higher FPS, I think 90 FPS and for each step 2 frames are rendered.

7 Likes

Oh I misread OP as wanting VR to run higher as well :joy:

8 Likes

I think increasing the fps would make detailed games with particles even more beautiful

55 Likes

The idea with locking it at 60 fps is because not a lot of people would benefit from it. Sure it might sound better to have a higher frame rate, but these effects won’t be too noticeable unless you have a monitor that can support higher refresh rates. I’m sure it will happen eventually as 120-144hz monitors become more accessible to the average user.

8 Likes

My suggestion would be to make it a setting for the game owner. Some games would have incredibly variable framerates if the lock were gone, so the lock would make it feel smoother. Other games would benefit from a super high framerate, so they can turn it off.

5 Likes

I have a 144hz monitor and I’d love to see my game at higher framerates.

You can easily hit 15 FPS in a laggy game on a low-end computer, so Roblox can definitely support running at a variable framerate. Scripters should be encouraged to write code that doesn’t depend on a 60 FPS client, especially with VR being introduced.

If it was tied to the framerate, then physics might just happen more quickly. The problem might be floating point precision with small time deltas.

23 Likes

You mean you aren’t a fan of this???

for i = 1, 100 do
    --do stuff
    wait()
end

I used to love seeing “cframed doors” move slow when someone on a lower-end pc was opening them :slight_smile:

20 Likes

while true do
–do stuff
wait()
end

2 Likes

I think ROBLOX should remove any FPS caps entirely. FPS caps actually use more CPU power because the CPU has to say “Slow down” to the graphics drivers or hardware, to put it simply.

24 Likes

Without VSync you get screen tearing

7 Likes

True, but most modern games that we see today really do a good job of not tearing. I wonder if ROBLOX would be able to do that?

2 Likes

Maybe my understanding of how this works is poor, but I was under the impression screen tearing had to do with hardware - not the specific game you’re playing?

The way games prevent tearing is via vsync (the gpu doesn’t update the screen until the current refresh cycle is complete) .How does a modern game “do a good job of not tearing”?

3 Likes

Yeah, my mistake - Hardware determines it - Both the GPU and Monitor, but mainly the monitor.

1 Like

I can barely run Roblox at 30 FPS. I feel so behind. :frowning:

11 Likes

Nope. The monitor determines it. There are very few situations in which v-sync actually hurts performance, but it’s generally not a good idea to run something as fast as possible. You’re going to get interrupted by the operating system anyway.

3 Likes

Easy fix.

local duration,expired = 1,0
while expired < duration do
	local amountCompleted = expired/duration
	--Do stuff
	expired = expired + wait()
end
4 Likes

Any news? I have a 120fps monitor and Roblox feels so choppy at 60 :neutral_face:

6 Likes