Remove R6 body-part shading while retaining clothing

Hello developer community,

In my game, I’m using the R6 rig and want to remove the smooth shading on the R6 body parts, while retaining clothing. For context, this is what I mean by smooth shading:

Unfortunately, when I apply a Shirt or Pants to the one without shading (i.e. my custom version), it does not apply. I’ve tried multiple methods, including:

• Making custom meshes for each body part using Blender to remove the smooth shading, and applying the meshes into each respective body part, using a SpecialMesh object. While this has achieved the look, default Roblox clothing does not apply to the body parts.
  • Using .Humanoid:ApplyDescription() to edit the custom body part IDs, which (even when given the parameter Enum.AssetTypeVerification.ClientOnly) returns “Some requested assets were not available”.
  • Making a ‘StarterCharacter’ using the custom body parts themselves - again, clothing does not apply correctly.

As far as I can see, I can either:

• UV map each clothing item onto the meshes - this is messy, but possibly doable
  • Find a way to remove the shading within RobloxStudio - likely not possible, at least not elegantly
  • Find a way for clothes to appear on my custom R6 body that doesn’t involve the previously mentioned methods

Without going through the process of UV mapping each piece of clothing, I was wondering if there are any other methods available to me at the moment, or things I could do to fix any errors I’ve made in these past attempts.

3 Likes