Remove the ability to delete clothing made by Roblox

Currently, I feel that the ability to delete things such as accessories, gear, and other such items is a bit of an issue. Right now, if someone happens to get in your account, they have the ability to quite a bit of damage.

One of those steps may be to delete your items, such as accessories, gear, and faces. While it’s possible to get back items they’ve traded away over time, such as limited items, what happens if they delete things such as event items, or items which were in the catalog for a limited time?

They’re kind of just gone. You can use your one time recovery, but depending on the amount of damage done they may not recover everything. There’s also hoping they go limited, but for quite a few items, that will likely either never happen, or may take years to do so.

The only downside I can really think of is the inconvenience of no longer being able to delete unwanted items to keep your inventory clean. Some people delete hats they no longer need and may keep around the small amount they really use, such as a signature outfit. While it may be a bit of an annoyance, I feel that issue is worth preventing damage done by mischievous people.

Edit: While hearing feedback of this post, another idea has come to mind. Why not replace the delete button with a “Hide” button? Hiding an item would prevent it from being visible from your avatar page, allowing users to sift out items they don’t want from their inventory, while preventing anything that may be considered permanent.

This would be a feature I feel would be beneficial to both people who don’t wish to have their items at risk of anyone who happens to get in to your account, while also allowing people who would normally delete items to sort their inventory to keep their inventory free of unwanted items.

74 Likes

Support. I was a big dummy a long time ago and deleted the present that the epic face came out of. I’ve always regretted deleting that present. I also happened to get hacked and had the majority of my items deleted back in 2010

4 Likes

Why not just remove the ability to delete any paid items? That way you can still remove a decent amount of stuff that you probally don’t want.

9 Likes

Yes please, it will also stop those videos where people ‘claim’ that roblox deleted their item, an example is tofuu’s video. It’s pretty embarrassing so watch with caution.

EDIT: Maybe we can have something along the lines of not being able to get rid of limiteds, maybe the pin number has to be entered in order for you to send a trade or sell a limited and you have a 5-10 minute time frame, then you enter it again. It will stop a LOT of people stealing limiteds.

6 Likes

As in keep the ability to delete items which were once free, or currently free?

If you mean once free, that leads us right back to the issue. Too many valuable items that had to be earned, and can’t be earned again.

If you mean currently free, I guess? Not quite sure what use that may have considering how often free items are rotated out, but since you can always get the item again, I suppose that’d be fine.

As for the pin idea, @Younite, that’d be pretty nice! I personally feel we should be able to use our pin to secure more actions. However, it is only a four digit number. At most it can delay anyone who gets into an account, but it’d certainly help buy some time for support to help out.

4 Likes

I’m not sure I understand you quite correctly.

You want to remove the ability to delete items from your inventory? I get where you are coming from, but if you get rid of some functionality, that could really come to bite you in the butt later. What happens when you buy an item from Roblox, and it turns out to be something really annoying. You want to delete it.

Or if you want to simplify your wardrobe. I have been on Roblox since 2011, I have way more shirts than I need. If I can’t go back and delete things that I don’t want anymore, it is just going to clutter my space. I don’t want to be a hoarder.

If you think it will be a challenge not to delete something, then don’t click on the three dots. Just click on the image in the ‘avatar’ tab. I really don’t support the removal of any kind of user functionality.

4 Likes

While it is indeed a bit of user functionality lost, I feel it is worth it for the problem it is removing.

Items such as shirts and pants, at least user made ones, are ones that I wasn’t too sure about, and mentioned up there as something I feel may not need such a change. They are something which can be remade by other users, unlike items made by Roblox. For that, I’m not quite sure on a solution.

This change isn’t about me not clicking the delete button, but preventing any malicious users who get in to my account from intentionally clicking it, and I’d rather users get the safety of preventing that from happening over the convenience of not having to scroll as far in the avatar editor to get to a specific item.

It may be annoying to not be able to delete certain items, but it is certainly a lot less harmful than allowing them to be deleted.

5 Likes

I suggest this is kept, but you can only delete items if you enter your security PIN. Haven’t got a PIN? Can’t delete items.

7 Likes

Disagree. I like to keep my inventory clean. Including hats(I’ll get around to deleting more soon). You might want that Scrambled Egg, but if I had it I would delete it because I wouldn’t possibly want it.

6 Likes

If you dont want to own it then you dont attempt to get it :^)

1 Like

Or I can delete it, and you can keep your account secure so nobody deletes it against your will.

5 Likes

The issue with this is that removing this functionality leaves zero way to remove unwanted assets.

With limited items its fine because if you really don’t want that Shaggy or Bright Fighter, you can sell it and get rid of it.

How do I get rid of my ROBLOX Giftbox if I don’t want it? With this, the answer is you can’t.

I trust the ROBLOX customer service team to resolve problems where assets are deleted off their account, or removed from their account. There are much more damaging things that cannot be reverted someone could do if they hijacked your account, deleting an asset is easily revertible. If it is not, then perhaps the team should be given a method at reverting those sorts of actions.

3 Likes

So the real suggestion here would be to have a delete button is guarded by a pin.

4 Likes

parental pin to delete a hat ?

3 Likes

Exactly! This has been suggested as early as 3 years ago.

It will obviously have to be different from the parent pin (else the user could just change their privacy settings, assuming of course we want the user to be able to delete their own assets and what-not).

2 Likes

Id be fine with that

same tbh

inb4 hackers find a way to find parental codes

I feel like ive suggested this as well, but a parental pin for selling limiteds, trading items and buying items, and now deleting items should be mandatory. It will pretty much stop almost all scamming, unless you dont have a pin.

1 Like

@Klocko, while that does seem like a good suggestion on paper, as I’ve mentioned before PINs can only go so far. It would serve as a very nice delay to buy time for Roblox support to help, though, so maybe? Certainly something to consider.

@Polymorphic, true. I do feel some solution needs to be in place to store unwanted assets, but the only solutions I have in mind would be a bit more complex than simply removing the delete button, such as a search bar to find the items you’re looking for, or a tagging system to hide unwanted items unless you’re specifically searching for them.

Along with that, I have sadly seen cases where people, such as twinny4u92, haven’t gotten all of their items back. As for the things which could cause more damage, these are the sort of things that I feel could get resolved with support more easily, by providing the proof that you own your own account.

@Alkan, Sadly, while we can do a LOT to keep our account secure, no system will be perfect. There are people always trying to discover new ways to get in, and there will be cases where these things happen. Even past that, this does give a certain degree of protection to younger users who aren’t aware of more unique methods.

Why is this a feature that needs to fall on the user? Shouldn’t Customer Support restore all deleted items when they recover an account?