Removing A Player From A Table

Greetings, I’ve attempted to remove a player from a table. However, it doesn’t seem to work. I’ve tried numerous things that have been suggested on the Wiki and Forums. To be quite honest, I don’t know what is wrong with this code. Any help would do.

local Players = game:GetService("Players")

Players.PlayerRemoving:Connect(function(Player)
	for i = 1, #Boat1 do -- Boat1 is a table.
		if Boat1[i] == Player then
			table.remove(Boat1, i)
		    warn(Player.Name..", Was Removed From Boat1 Because They've Left The Game!")
		end
	end
	for i = 1, #Boat2 do -- Boat2 is a table.
		if Boat2[i] == Player then
			table.remove(Boat2, i)
		    warn(Player.Name..", Was Removed From Boat2 Because They've Left The Game!")
		end
	end
	for i = 1, #Boat3 do -- Boat3 is a table.
		if Boat3[i] == Player then
			table.remove(Boat3, i)
		    warn(Player.Name..", Was Removed From Boat3 Because They've Left The Game!")
		end
	end 
end)
2 Likes

You should use 3 backticks to make it a codeblock, compared to one backtick.

Done, thank you for the suggestion.

you have tried Boat1[Player] = nil ?, elements without values are removed.

1 Like

I’ll try that out. I’ve attempted to set Boat1[i] to nil before.

I looked again at the code and I think it will not work, because Player is the value and not the index, but Boat1[i] = nil, it should work and if it does not work then the problem is elsewhere.

Can you show us how you are inserting the player into the table?

I quickly setup a simple script and it works fine and should be about the same as what you’re doing.

local Players = game:GetService("Players")

local Table = {}

Players.PlayerAdded:Connect(function(Player) 
	table.insert(Table, #Table + 1, Player)	
end)

Players.PlayerRemoving:Connect(function(Player) 
	for i = 1, #Table do
		if Table[i] == Player then
			print(Table[i])
			table.remove(Table, i)
			print(Table[i])
		end
	end	
end)

When the player leaves the output is:

CleverSource
  nil

this is correct as I print the player before I remove them from the table, I remove them, and then print the index of the table again and it is nil.

4 Likes

Are you sure the values stored in the tables are player objects and not the player’s usernames (strings)?

Also, if you’re just referencing the values within a table, you could do

for i, v in pairs(Boat1) do
    -- code
end

where the variable “i” maintains the same value as your variable “i”, but “v” maintains the value of “Boat1[i]”.

Also you are receiving the warning in output?

I think you’ve mistaken how this code works. Boat1[i] would return the value in Boat1 with the index of the variable i.

E.g.
If the items within Boat1 would be {“hello”,“there”,“my”,“name”,“is”,“bob”}
and the value of i would be 3,
print(Boat1[i]) would output the string “my”.

Needless to say it, I already commented my mistake above.

Sure.

Oh, I see my mistake. I’m storing the player object into the table, silly me.

Nothing related to this chunk of code is showing in the output.

1 Like

Storing the player object is fine though. That should not be a mistake. If you review the sample code I’ve provided, I am storing the player object, the sample code I am referring to is here.

1 Like

Not sure how storing player objects is affected by when players leave, but if you’re going to change it to store the player’s usernames, make sure to also compare them to the player’s username and not the object.

table.insert(Boat1, Player)
table.insert(Boat2, Player)
table.insert(Boat3, Player)

That is your error. You need to do table.insert(Boat1, #Boat1 + 1, Player) and so on. table.insert takes 3 parameters, the table which you want to add the value to, the index you wish to add it to, and the value you want to add.

2 Likes

Ah, I see it now, thank you for the help.

Is that necessary? I’ve never used that with table inserting before (unless I wanted a specific position), it’s always automatically appended for me.

EDIT: The question isn’t sarcastic but more out of pure interest :sweat_smile:

table.insert can be used with two parameters, and it will do the same that you said.
https://gyazo.com/08e1c322613b7f8b0beac698bb22440b

Thank you, the code is working now! I’m in need of practice with tables. If you can, could you possibly link a few sources that could help?