Removing Outlines

Obviously, this is the most obvious step to take, considering the quality of gameplay overall! Very pleased with this. :slight_smile:

25 Likes

Awesome change! This will improve overall gameplay. Great to see Roblox considering all aspects of players gameplay.

11 Likes

Oh well. I can’t say that this was unexpected. So much for the hilarious side-effects of enabling outlines:

(Outlines off:)

(Outlines on:)

21 Likes

This change made sense in the long run. As stated in the post, this feature is barely used and is mostly just for collecting dust.

6 Likes

I’m glad to see this change, game looks better, performance boost and the fact that I just don’t use it, what’s the point of it anyways, unless you’re keeping a classic game alive.

6 Likes

It would be nice if the old topic was edited to reflect it being removed.

7 Likes

I doubt the old topic is read or referred to given the date it was written.

8 Likes

Was there any use to outline feature beside visual effects. I personally never used this.

1 Like

And nothing of value was lost.

I remember distinctly when outlines were first added and forcibly enabled for every game. I’m glad they’re finally being put to rest; they don’t serve a purpose in the modern era.

13 Likes

I see why outlines are being removed, but I personally find them useful in studio for identifying borders of parts in certain situations (example below).

Outlines on:

Outlines off:

Don’t tell me I’m the only person who finds them useful lol

54 Likes

I think this could be replicated with a plugin that shows outlines for nearby parts using the SelectionBox class. I do something similar for my collision group editor.

56 Likes

I remember being so confused when outlines were first added and all my builds suddenly looked so UGLY. I was so mad, for days, because I couldn’t figure out what outlines were or where they had come from.

Nothing but thumbs up from me. I think they were quite possibly the most stupid “feature” ever added.

Don’t shoot me if you had a unique use case for them or disagree. Just my opinion: Outlines were terrible, always.

15 Likes

Few questions:

1. What about parts with no outline surfaces?
  2. Will this feature be replaced by Celshading someday? I want cool Borderlands style outlines without having to play with inverted meshes. (Outline object would be welcome tbh)

But yes, only game which I saw use it recently was old version of RHS.

16 Likes

That’s true, but it can come at a performance cost if too many parts are in one area.
I personally just select a part under workspace to see outline, if needed.

2 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking. My mind was going: “Borderlands, Borderlands, BORDERLANDS!” - And im not a fan of Borderlands xD. Aside that long awaited and obvious update that shows how roblox is evolving, good work boys (and gals) :+1: .

Sidenote for Dogutsune: I believe @InternallyAmplified did a post on [NEW] EXPERIMENTAL CEL building style <–Found here.

4 Likes

Bit disappointed in this. Outlines were never something I liked seeing in games, but as a builder they certainly had utility. Makes it easier to build if you can see where the borders of the parts are more clearly.

19 Likes

I don’t think performance would matter if the plugin would be used for identifying parts; the selection boxes would be temporary while someone is verifying the position of the parts.

4 Likes

I actually liked outlines. It made it easy to put texture into builds that are entirely comprised of primitive BaseParts without breaking into multiple dimensions.

7 Likes

NOOOOOOOO!!! I LOVED OUTLINES!!! I’m quitting Roblox now, goodbye!

just kidding, nobody liked outlines. Bevels? yes. Outlines? NO!

8 Likes

Thank god, If you did we will be missing you! :sneezing_face:

2 Likes