Removing Outlines

The script you provided just “emulates” the effect outlines have. I tried it out on my own game and it made things look hideous and/or discolored.

Isn’t “emulating” the outlines effect and recoloring parts the goal of that script though?
If you really want to try to replicate the effect of outlines you could try adding a SelectionBox to every part but it’ll probably be bad for performance, but it’s probably the only way to go if you really really need outlines.

2 Likes

In a tech demo game of mine, using a selection box of 1, I was able to replicate outlines perfectly! Not sure what most of the fuss is.

1 Like

Most of it seems to come from people who are worried about the performance of makeshift outlines

1 Like

SelectionBoxes are probably better for performance than Outlines /shrug

100% not. It’s painful Destroying instances. Deleting a bulk amount of anything will always lead to a massive amount of lag, so will instancing a large amount of anything.

2 Likes

I understand that ROBLOX is doing this in light of modernization, however, I have a few doubts.

• Some legacy games use Outlines to operate
  • Some games require them to function properly

The workarounds ROBLOX gave are very helpful, however, it is questionable on how the change will play out until outlines are officially removed.

5 Likes

okay cool, i never saw the point of this. Maybe it was useful for building a while back but definitely not anymore.

I noticed the outlines are gone without any announcements in newer servers.

As the original post mentions,

This is an advance notice that outlines are going to be removed from Roblox in the coming weeks. There’s no specific timeline yet because the impact of the change is small and visual only - but don’t be surprised if one day you stop seeing outlines altogether.

Outlines were indeed removed as part of the update this week; Studio will see this change tomorrow.

9 Likes

I was using outlines to differentiate custom wooden planks, but I ended up disabling them and replacing them with either SelectionBoxes or slightly bevelling parts with unions.

please help this guy lol, his game with a few thousand players needs outlines to be able to build well

2 Likes

There’s no excuse for a broken game due to outlines’ removal. Roblox has given over a months notice that outlines will be removed, including a final advance notice a few weeks ago.

You should not blame Roblox for your own ignorance.

9 Likes

This will most likely affect people who are building for their games. Outlines shouldn’t be removed if you ask me, it helps people to see what they are creating. It’s going to be extremely bad if outlines are getting removed especially for builders.

6 Likes

Thanks for removing outlines.
Yes that will be all from me bye :smiley:

Edit: Never used them but advanced shading sounds smoother than block defined edges

1 Like

Can’t we at least have some optimized version of the legacy outlines? If that’s even possible. I really don’t wanna use selection boxes or decals, because they don’t emulate the effect outlines had that well.

5 Likes

SelectionBoxes can emulate outlines very well; I used them in a recent small project.

1 Like

See, the problem is: the further away you’re from a SelectionBox, the thicker it gets. This is something I really don’t want. Also, they’re way more expensive compared to just normal outlines and they only work on “Part” and not all the other parts.

1 Like

Same with me I really am quite annoyed at Roblox for doing this.

1 Like

I have also noticed that it’s now been removed. Not happy at all. And I was using this in a build.

EDIT: Started playing around with Selection Boxes and made this it’s not the best

https://www.roblox.com/library/5061122097/Outlined-Brick-Test

1 Like