Removing Support for Third Party Closed Source Modules

Whether it was a bug or not, people found a use for it. Nothing will change that, nor will anything change the fact that this update will kill hundreds, if not thousands, of groups and games.

2 Likes

Lots of groups rely on these “companies” (I know many people don’t agree with calling them that, but you know you I’m referring to). These companies rely on private modules to protect their IP. The issue is, most of these groups don’t want to open source (for obvious reasons), and they don’t want to make their product(s) free. This means many of them will close, or stop selling scripts and instead just sell assets like models of meshes, but when these groups close, the groups and games that rely on them will struggle massively to find alternatives to what they were using. Most of their games will break and they won’t be able to fix it.

2 Likes

Real companies do exist on Roblox, but they are few and far between. IP protection is important to them and several users have pushed to improve IP protections.

3 Likes

I never said they didn’t, when I said “companies” I am referring to the development groups that provide services and products for groups and games.

3 Likes

Hi everyone,

This change is now live. It is no longer possible to require third party modules that are closed source. Module creators who want to make their modules usable again are encouraged to make their modules open source.

Thank you all for the feedback about this change! I want to assure you that we reviewed every post in this thread to make sure we heard everyone’s voice. Much of the feedback centers around a desire for official support for third party code in games. If you would like to see this happen, please file a feature request and continue the discussion there.

58 Likes