Removing Support for Windows XP Users (Studio Only)

No more playing roblox in school boys

9 Likes

[Removed because no need for more drama]

1 Like

Nope just kidding, it’s a hybrid Windows 7/XP mashup

Although this does hit me right in my feelings because I know 85% of my friends still use Windows XP. Instead of dropping XP support completely, most companies now only OPT to support Windows XP SP3 and drop vista support because there isn’t anyone using it anymore. Where as, XP still has quite a lot of people still using it

Still trying to get my stubborn friends to move to at least Windows 7 but they just won’t move. There are a few valid reasons because old programs that are designed for XP just won’t work on new versions of Windows. E.g. ford radio have a program but it WILL only on XP.

1 Like

No ROBLOX game is approaching the amount of resources Skyrim used, even if it’s an eight-year-old game. Regardless of what the average system RAM is now, there’s no ROBLOX game to use it. Copy+pasting a chart doesn’t magically change that.

Might be a good idea to read what you copy+paste. Note the title mentions modding, and the paragraph after the bit you quoted is as follows:

“We present this information with the hope that modders/mod authors will keep these limitations in mind when using/creating mods, especially texture-heavy ones …”

As I mentioned earlier, 4GB is plenty for vanilla Skyrim. It only becomes a problem with heavily-modded installs. ROBLOX games aren’t close to vanilla Skyrim in terms of resource usage, mess less heavily-modded Skyrim.

Copypasta from the internet doesn’t contribute to the discussion. You may consider taking up my suggestion earlier and researching what you post.

3 Likes

Not even my most computer-illiterate friends are using XP. If anyone is using XP, they shouldn’t be surprised to see any continuously-updating program stop working. 'Tis a good change.

8 Likes

I’ll miss seeing the ocasional player from the philippines enjoying my game. I am afraid removing support for Windows XP will prevent Roblox from growing quickly in the asian market and similar regions…

13 Likes

Regions like Philippines probably don’t have the ability to have up-to-date machines. My friend at works lives there and always visits. She says that her family have XP machines out there and her friends either have XP/Vista

Skyrim can do a lot more optimizations because its pretty much a static world. ROBLOX would inherently be more resource demanding being a dynamic world. Skyrim jumping to 64-bit was able to offer better performance even while enhancing graphics. Apocalypse Rising has a largely empty world and uses 600MB. If you ever attempted to populate a large world like that…well good luck you’d hit the 2.7GB-3GB cap and crash. Especially with meshes and textures.

1 Like

VirtualBox seems to work pretty well for me if I need to run anything on XP. Either that, or I grab my XP PC w/ 4GB of RAM, and hook that up without a network connection.

Tip: Sane developers use LOD/etc and don’t load the full-detail for the whole game at once

I never said the whole game, but a largely populated world will have a lot of close objects you don’t want to lower quality of.

This thread is only referring to Studio - we currently do not have plans to discontinue Windows XP support for client.

23 Likes

Ah, phew! @Nightgaladeld I’d suggest updating the original post as I think that confused everyone (I certainly thought you meant studio and client!) :smiley:

2 Likes

Also to comment on the 64-bit discussion - unfortunately, regardless of Windows XP we can’t make Client/Studio 64-bit exclusive - there are a lot of users that only have 32-bit CPUs and/or 32-bit OS, and this is not Windows XP (last time I checked we had lots of Windows 10 32-bit users). Thus switching to 64-bit would entail maintaining two builds and downloading the right one, which involves some work for deployment/installation process - we currently do not have plans to do that for Windows. (we are, however, looking into 64-bit for Mac to get Metal support)

3 Likes

But I’m gonna ask the questions that people are asking me now

“Can people still use Studio after you kill it off?”

“So if they kill it off they basically won’t help you but you should be able to use the latest versions, assuming they don’t pull a dodgy Microsoft move and ban it. Just clarify with them that people will be able to use it still. ROBLOX just won’t help you at all with it.”

“So I’ll be able to play games on ROBLOX still?”

“Is this for XP entirely or just SP1/SP2? I’m on SP3 just want to check”

1 Like

We’re still playing roblox in school boys

12 Likes

Oldest operating system I have ever used was Windows 98… I was born in 97. I guess I’ve never used an OS older than me.

1 Like

Yes, XP users will be able to keep using Studio. However, we will stop automatic updates and new Studio versions will not run on XP. All XP versions will be affected SP1/SP2/SP3.

This does NOT affect Player.

2 Likes

Battlegrounds isn’t some AAA 200 million dollar budget game. Just some dude who wanted to make a game. Sounds familiar.

very incorrect

“Bluehole had a team of about forty developers supporting Greene’s work”
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayerUnknown’s_Battlegrounds

1 Like

The controller for my uni’s big telescope actually still runs on MS-DOS

1 Like