RenderFidelity quality distance should respect part size

I want to use Automatic RenderFidelity for my MeshParts, but it’s unusable when large parts are far away, and doesn’t optimize for tiny parts that are nearby. Here’s an example:

The tiny part on the bottom right has significantly more triangles than the massive far-away part on the left. This feature has a lot of potential, but it doesn’t quite work in these cases.

18 Likes

Agreed. Automatic RenderFidelity is essentially unusable for parts that are anything other than normal sized. I wouldn’t classify this as an engine bug though.

Yeah I couldn’t decide. It’s effectively broken for these cases, but it’s not serious. I’d say it’s just unfinished. Somewhere between a bug report and a feature request.

2 Likes

This feature definetly needs more testing and some fixes, though this doesn’t really hurt a build to much…

Please

1 Like

We do have someone working on an improved RenderFidelity/LOD at this time as their primary project. It includes using a better generation method AND doing a better job of knowing what models to swap out on.

I don’t have a good ETA at this time, but maybe a few months as a guess. Don’t hold me on that, though.

5 Likes

Could it be possible for us to define our own LODs somehow? A hack when importing based on the names of the objects would work for me, where relevant metadata could be a suffix (e.g. “DirtCliff1 [Lod:2]” or even “DirtCliff1 [Lod:0.3]”, depending on what makes sense and how it’s implemented internally.

I have a few use cases.

For example meshes made of multiple MeshParts that need to line up perfectly:

There are gaps when the performance lods are used.
20230517_205532_236_RobloxStudioBeta
I use custom export tools that line up their bounding boxes using a zero-area triangle, so I assume custom LODs would work how I expect here. (I do this mainly so I can copy physics data and to simplify cframe transformations for the object.)

This one is separated for modularity (an modularity reasons)

(For some reason the LODs don’t seem to show up for me so I don’t have an example of it showing seams from far away)

Sometimes it gets crushed more than I intend, or I lose important shading details.
20230517_205102_567_RobloxStudioBeta

I have custom systems and could do my own LOD with multiple parts, but this adds significant complexity to the assets I’m managing.

1 Like

We understand that the automatic RenderFidelity/LOD system may not perform as expected in certain cases, impacting the visual fidelity and optimization of large or small parts within the game environment. While we continue to investigate and work on improvements internally, we currently do not have a specific timeline for the introduction of new features or adjustments to address this issue. We appreciate your feedback and patience as we strive to enhance the Roblox platform for all developers.

2 Likes