Rendering Issue (Beams, Trails, Fog, Lighting)

Title updated to better fit the issue at hand.

2 Likes

Also experiencing this issue. Would like to know if it’s intentional or a bug, that way I can retrofit my lighting accordingly.

5 Likes

Stated by staff member Gu4rana above:

The beam and trail situation are cosmetic issues and are being investigated.

As for the other issues presented on this thread; it is unclear if they are intentional or not. I presume, however, they are unintentional.

3 Likes

Please note that there are other bug reports on the forum for some of these issues, e.g. the topic about SSAO is here: Screen-space ambient occlusion does not appear in Studio or Player

2 Likes

Same. I had an auditorium that used hundreds of beams to make the lighting more realistic, and I ended up having to disable all the beams. There is a really steep curve for editing transparency on beams now. When using a number sequence, or even general transparency, to get the beam like partially visible you literally have to set the variables to crazy things like 0.9985.

2 Likes

That and it doesn’t even render properly, just looks like a decal.

1 Like

My game’s visuals have been significantly messed up for a week now, with no way for developers to fix these issues themselves as rebalancing visual effects would need to be reversed once Roblox fixed these bugs.

For something this impactful, being left in the dark (ahem, bright) for 6 days is disappointing.

24 Likes

Same feeling about this. I tried to release my game week ago, but lighting broke right before release so I have to wait untill roblox fixes this.

4 Likes

I completely agree regarding the lack of communication – It’s been nearly a week with no communication on an issue that cripples all of my existing and upcoming maps, it would be great to hear about any updates regarding this bug so I can resume development of my games… Lets hope to hear some good news soon.

9 Likes

This appears to be fixed for me. Is anyone still experiencing rendering issues?

Today is Wednesday and an update was pushed, so I would assume they must have corrected the issue.

Edit:
It appears they made the changes internally, so I would assume so.

1 Like

Something is still off with the beams. They still appear to be rendering in a very 2D fashion.

Also ambient occlusion doesn’t appear to have been fixed.

3 Likes

I’ve been speaking to a Roblox Staff member, and I’d like to share with what they said to me to help all of you concerned with this issue:

From Roblox Staff:

“Version 430, which is now deployed to Windows, addresses the beam brightness/transparency issue many folks have reported duplicates of the same issue. Version 431 will include update for the SSAO issue that was reported and also the rope not being fogged.”

I greatly appreciate them reaching out, and I’d figure I could share this here to provide answers for some of you with questions regarding the situation.

10 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t remember beams having this 2D effect.

1 Like

That’s a face cam beam
of course it looks 2d when look in top down view

3 Likes

When I first read your post, I had my doubts that it would fix all the issues we’re seeing as the message you showed us from Roblox staff mentions nothing regarding the issues for fog itself. Version 431 was released yesterday and while I’m very happy to see that the SSAO issue is fixed, there are still problems that are left unsolved. :frowning:

One of my MAIN concerns is the problem I’m seeing with fog and the glass material property, I’ve explained the issue here on another thread: The most recent update is rendering everything significantly brighter - #2 by Scribels

Additionally, as previously mentioned, fog is appearing a lot “thicker” than usual.
Here is a photo provided by one of my players showing an area before this issue started occurring:

Here is a photo I took of the same spot after the issue started occurring:

It looks to me that fog is starting much earlier without the FogStart property ever being touched (in both images, FogStart was always set to 0 and FogEnd always 1500). While this can easily be fixed by developers adjusting the FogStart/FogEnd properties accordingly, the question is whether this change was intentional and permanent or entirely accidental and temporary?

I’d be VERY happy if you could ask the staff member you’ve been contacting if these issues have been noticed? And if that’s the case, when (and if) they’re planned to be fixed! :grin:

4 Likes

I just took a screenshot of the settings before the issue, then changed them to the best of my ability to try to get the look back to the original look.

For me personally 2 weeks is a lot of time and I don’t even think they fully addressed all the issues in that time frame so if i were you I would just go ahead and change the lighting settings.

1 Like

This may be a better thread to follow now regarding thick fog as it’s addressed here and is more recent:

1 Like

I also am having a similar issue. I have 2 crystals in the same location being used together to make one crystal. The first crystal is blue and smooth plastic, and the second is pink and force field. in studio it looks like this:

in game is looks like:

This makes no sence to me becuase if you just take away the blue crystal, then the force field is transparent, not solid. It also looks correct if you lower the graphics to a 7/10, but then the game looks much worse because I am using lots of neon.

My current solution is making all the blue crystals 2 studs smaller in every dimension. It still looks correct in studio, and different in game, but atleast not pink.

But I really don’t like the look of this solution, so I hope there is another way.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.