Rendering of In-Game CSG is very unreliable in an online game

In-Game CSG is unreliable in an online game. There’s really not much that can be said here… even really trivial operations (flat part subtracting another flat part to make a through hole) can appear to fail seemingly at random.

For example, in a studio play solo session the feature works perfectly:

But in an online game, the result of a CSG operation has a very strong tendency to disappear.

The result of the CSG is physically there (you can collide with it like you’d expect to), it’s just that it’s not being rendered at all.

One way that I’ve found of mitigating this is to delay parenting the result of the CSG operation… but that sort of makes the feature not worth it (this delay is on top of the time it takes to do the CSG in the first place) + this isn’t perfect since you can’t tell exactly how long you have to yield until the CSG is “ready to render”.

The game referenced in the clips I posted above is the example linked in the devhub article for In-Game Solid Modeling:

13 Likes

Even if developers are still using in-game CSG operations for realtime shape changes (e.g. debris), there’s a pretty negligible difference between CSG and pre-rendered mesh shapes, at least which the player will notice.

CSG is a great learning tool, but I will always advocate learning how to 3D model and upload meshes due to the inherent drawbacks of CSG.

2 Likes

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database and we’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

Please note that filling a bug report does not guarantee that it will be fixed once triaged.

3 Likes

I am in the process of checking over bug reports and following up on some bugs that haven’t received any activity in a while.
Is this issue still occurring or can you confirm that this bug has been resolved?

3 Likes

Yes, this is still occurring. Tested just a few seconds ago.

3 Likes

Alright, thanks for the info. When i hear anything from the engineers about this issue i will pass it on.

4 Likes

This is fixed as of March 17th.

4 Likes

As per our engineers: This issue was fixed March 17th. This issue should now be resolved! If this issue is still occurring, please create a new topic for us to look into.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.