Reparenting a character increases movement speed and causes jitter

Happens both in-studio and in-game when the character is reparented to a model or folder.

The speed of the character is increased, presumably due to funky physics because the WalkSpeed remains the same. There is also some jitter from the character “vibrating” I assume. When you jump, things go back to normal.

You can see this happening in the following video:

To reproduce:

• Play solo
  • Insert folder/model into workspace
  • Set your character’s parent to the folder/model
  • Walk around
11 Likes

Hello, this is happening to me as well. I’m reparenting characters as they enter different regions of the map and doing so will sometimes cause the character to walk extremely fast for a second or two (about every 4/5 tries). The characters are getting moved between folders in Workspace.

1 Like

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database and we’ll follow up here when we have an update for you.

1 Like

Same problem for me, usually in elevators when I parent the player to it in order to tween them along with the model.

A quick fix, for now, would just be toggling the massless property of the HumanoidRootPart on then off when the character model has loaded in.

3 Likes

I am in the process of checking over bug reports and following up on some bugs that haven’t received any activity in a while.
Is this issue still occurring or can you confirm that this bug has been resolved?

Yep this issue is still occurring.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. When there is more info from engineering i will pass it on.

Apologies for the old bump!

This bug still happens. The reproduction steps are the same as mentioned by OP. Gave me a headache trying to figure out what was happening lol

1 Like

Big bump, but this is still happening to me. same details as the main post, reparenting the character increases movement speed and causes jitter.