Requesting developer feedback for social features

• This is going to sound harsh, but I wish there was a way to blacklist specific users from rejoining your Groups. Over the years I’ve had people who were repeatedly exiled rejoin and resume their shenanigans. I don’t want to have to turn manual approval on for join requests. It’s gotten so annoying, I had to make a bot for the sole purpose of demoting these obnoxious users into a muted rank every time they rejoin.
  • I haven’t seen this suggested before.
  • Ideally, it would be like those in-game ban scripts that prevent specific users from re-entering servers. I honestly don’t know why these individuals haven’t caught the eye of the Moderators already; you’d think spamming 130+ pages of the Group wall would be sufficient…
21 Likes

I’d appreciate the ability to specifically block individual users in groups from commenting on the group wall or even joining my group overall. Another helpful feature would be blocked users cannot join the groups I own as 9/10 they just want to cause issues with me.

9 Likes

Social/development-related features that would be nice:

• Update log placed under the game where the description is(look at Fabrick), shown as the most recent update and allowing users to go back through the last 5 or so. Allows developers to more clearly advertise what is updated in their game without having to use third party platforms.
  • Group perma-ban feature which prevents the user from being able to rejoin or send a rejoin request.
  • Game newsletter subscriptions. If a user likes a game and subscribes to their newsletter, they will be able to receive a PM whenever the game owner(or somebody with the permissions in a group game) decides to send one out. This can be used to announce upcoming updates, new updates, ask for feedback, or just general promotion. This honestly is the one thing I would want the most.
9 Likes

Lilly’s Group Overhaul.

I believe it is clear that we all want this, so I’m going to post it one more time: Lilly’s Group Overhaul.

Really though, you asked for feedback, so I feel compelled to speak honestly — and honestly, I think deep down both developers and staff know that the current social features do not meet the standards one would have regarding a nearly-billion-dollar company. It’s not that they’re horrible, but frankly they’re just not good enough.

I’m going to use this opportunity to list out some of my thoughts. Others may not agree, but this is what I personally recommend.

• Groups really need to be re-thought out (tip). Games cannot survive or even launch properly unless they have a proper fanbase, and it is extremely hard to accomplish that using the groups system (without a banned third-party aid).

• #feature-requests:web-features is filled with AMAZING ideas written by extremely creative people. Browse it when you have a chance.

• Brainstorm about the filter system. Find a solution that fits everyone. There needs to be some way to please all the overprotective parents and your committed developers. Right now you’re just sticking with the former but I think it’d be good not to slowly yet consistently lose developers.

• Don’t just listen to your developers, follow their advice. You have hundreds of people that really want to make a living out of your platform, and one of the sole reasons they cannot do this is due to lack of support. Although I don’t necessarily agree with the whole Roblox only cares about the same top-5 front page developers! view, you have to admit it does have some valid points.

In order to follow the format:

• I want to be able to maintain a proper community for my games on Roblox but it’s currently too hard/impossible.
  • Has it been posted on the DevForum as a feature request? Yes.
  • What would be your ideal solution? Refer to the rest of the post.

I have to post this again because clearly, somehow, people still don’t understand how important this would be to the continuity and improvement of the community.

14 Likes

I very often find myself mobile whenever someone I commissioned gets his/her work done, or needs to start his or her work. I often then need to change permissions from groups or pay someone using group funds but I am not able to do so because Roblox does not have a dedicated mobile group admin page.

So very often the person I commissioned needs to wait a few hours before I can do what needs to be done.

I could really use proper mobile support for the group admin page.

6 Likes

I want to promote conversation between my players. I want an organized forum to receive bug reports, feature requests and other feedback directly from my players instead of trying to funnel 0.1% of them off platform onto Twitter or Discord

This currently impossible.

11 Likes

A chat for a whole group, which is less affected by the filter, as this could make it impossible for older users to have a regular conversation.

3 Likes

Not Roblox’s call – required and recently requested by one of Roblox’s kid safety certifications. Dubious about how effective it actually is since the user could just google “Roblox SEARCHTERM”, but again, out of our hands.

Filter is constantly updating and a number of accounts predate the new filtering.

I want players to be able to share in-game screenshots.

It’s hard to fix bug reports if they can only describe it verbally. It would also be fun sharing goofy screenshots with your friends.

I think this has been demo’d on a hackweek project already, though. I’m just voicing my support.

7 Likes

Are name filtering and text filtering the same? I thought names use a different filter than the ordinary text one.

I want to give users free assets on Roblox in my games (or I want my players to be able to obtain more free assets on Roblox) It’s currently too hard/impossible to customize due to there being no free currency, nor pool of free assets to customize your avatar with (the current puddle of free assets is not enough). This seems like a large retention mechanic that has been completely gutted.

9 Likes

Even if not awarding items from developer games, avatar customization is definitely an important social feature that has been gutted. Looking at our top games, it’s no coincidence that they all put a major emphasis on customization through item skins/playerhomes/etc that provide the player a sense of ownership. Games like Robloxian High School and Meep City have seen major success just by re-implementing the catalog and providing it to everyone.

We’re sorely lacking as a social platform now that we don’t allow all players to customize their avatars. 5 shirts with minimal variance is not going to cut it:

Neither will 15 accessories supplemented by turning our users into walking billboards:

A platform as large as Roblox needs customization, and it needs it to be engaging. What we provide to non-paying users is not adequate, and greatly diminishes the social nature of the platform when you look the exact same as every other user on the platform.

26 Likes

You got any info on UGC or is it in the dark still?

It’s meant to be coming out this year, but as we haven’t heard anything we might as well add it to the list of stuff we want.

Actually it’ll probably be mentioned at RDC but /shrug

3 Likes

Not a part of that team, but IIRC last RDC they said UGC pending anthro when scope of avatars is more finalized. Can’t ship UGC catalog only for it to undergo substantial changes due to needing to support new anthro stuff.

1 Like

Tbh I feel like at this point Roblox is splitting too much. We already have 2 different avatar types, and now we’ll have a third.

I guess they’re good for one thing, and that’s giving three different core-systems for characters people can use right off the bat for their games (realistic, blocky but bendy, blocky) but as for the catalog and the rest of the ‘global’ things, it just doesn’t seem sustainable to me (cough also delays features cough).

I guess we’ll just see how it goes :wink:

3 Likes

As much as I understand this, I want to point out that Roblox allows me to create an account called “httphttphttp2” but not search for it, and the search gets filtered. If the username is currently getting filtered, I would think I shouldn’t be able to create an account with that username, right? Why am I allowed to create a new account with a filtered username then?

4 Likes

Account creation and the filter will always be out of sync because while the filter can be updated, usernames cannot. If random users’ usernames changed from what they were to ######## on a random basis it would extremely aggravating.

You are missing what I am saying. Currently, I am good to sign up for that username, but also currently, other filters censor it. Future and past aside, I should not be able to apply for a new account that is presently filtered everywhere else.

On second thought, maybe it’s for the better. I wouldn’t want to frustrate a new user that couldn’t find a username that passed filters.

4 Likes

The filter does not check against the string on its own. The filter will also apply context from the speaker and the listener’s point of view.
This is why under 13 accounts have stricter filtering tests than an over 13 member. Likewise, the filter will use previous entries in a chat conversation to determine the context of the sentence and apply its filtering if needed.

Usernames lack this context and are filtered without it.

2 Likes

I’d like it if parties on Roblox were improved upon, and were encouraged the use of.
As of now, they feel like they’re outdated and could be vastly improved upon and could engage more in social interaction.

I was thinking for a couple of things you could add in terms of parties, like:

• Adding a specific chat command/tab in-game that’d allow you to talk to party members only. (Kind of like how you can use /team to specifically chat to people on your team in-game.)

• Allowing people to add other people to the party while in-game without leaving the Roblox player. (Sort of how you can send someone a friend request.)

• Possibly improve the UI on the website? It looks a bit outdated and messy. Separating the group chats from directly messaging your friends would probably clean it up a lot.
    It’d also be nice if we could stretch and scale the UI’s to a size that’d fit for us.

I think there was some update to it recently on mobile, but I don’t think it was given that much attention on the computer.