RequestQueueSize says 0 before all assets have loaded

I have a few thousand textures in workspace that need to be loaded in order for the game to appear as it is intended to. Many players load precisely none of them and RequestQueueSize seems to drop to 0 for them after all of the requests have timed out. Roblox gives up on them instead of trying again. From there it’s a simple leave and dislike. I’m showing to the player how many unloaded assets remain. It should not say 0 when the number of unloaded assets is all of them. I can’t preload them, at least not for the first player who joins the server, because they’re procedurally generated.

If preloading works then I would hope players aren’t allowed to dislike a game because their internet can’t load it. If this is possible then that definitely needs to be fixed.

6 Likes

Characters stay grey after the game says the textures have loaded. That’s what the issue seems to be. The textures can load but never render.
this is the game, there are thousands of textures and they all need to load https://www.roblox.com/games/966430519/Hall-of-Fame

This is quite frustrating for me also, on occasion images don’t load for players which are crucial to the UI design.

1 Like

Many players who join the game are not able to see all of the assets. They finish downloading all of them, but they never load. Everything in the game is grey for them. I don’t experience this but apparently lots of people are having this issue, and so far it seems that there is absolutely nothing that I can do about it.

PreloadAsync?

PreloadAsync delays the loading page until the client has finished downloading the requested list of assets. I am procedurally adding more assets into the game, so the player has already passed the loading page, but preloading is not a solution regardless. The player already has downloaded the assets, which is all preloading ensures.

This is what people are seeing. The assets are downloaded and don’t load in the game. If RequestQueueSize ever is not 0 then it shows up on your screen that more assets are being downloaded. They all have downloaded, so it’s 0, but they just don’t load.

1 Like

RequestQueueSize is the num of assets that are waiting to be downloaded to local disk. It doesn’t mean they are loaded to memory or not. You can try PreloadAsync to preload some assets to memory.
It seems like we have bugs in the loading process. We will investigate this.

1 Like

How often does this happen? I tried several times but can’t reproduce.

For me it almost never happens. For other people it seems to always happen. If you try on a slow computer, or maybe a bad connection, that might be able to replicate the behavior.

A flag to solve this problem was flipped today. Could you check if this solves your problem? Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.