ResampleMode - New Property for Image GUI Objects

Now we can choose to filter for the image. We can finally make pixel games or PS1-styled games without high-resolution textures that still look a little bit blurry if you look close to it. If this also applies to textures, we can also make voxel games like Minecraft.

Because they think the developers who actually make the games are 13 year olds who can’t understand a concept as simple as Bilinear and NearestNeighbor so they opt for the “kid friendly” choices like this. But in reality it’s 18+ year olds that make the games who can understand these concepts. It’s simply not knowing who your developers are.

2 Likes

That’s great! Can’t wait to see this expanded to more image instance types! Hopefully we’ll be seeing more post-processing effects in future too :smile:

1 Like

I love this! This really does improve the pixelated images in games. This is perfect for developers that are going for a 3D Pixel Art type of game or even 2D.

Can we get this on TextLabel’s? It would probaly make it easier to read when its small text.

1 Like

I wanted to try this in studio so I did a quick comparison with a really pixelated image I found and…

comparison2

WOW, JUST WOW

May not be that exciting for me due to the art-style I usually use in my experiences but it definitely seems like something exciting for those who have games with pixelated textures!

5 Likes

We had quite a lengthy discussion on this when choosing the name. What it comes down to is that many of the people using the Roblox engine are people who do not come from a computer graphics background. Given that, imagine this scenario:

You see “FilterMode”, with “Point” as a value show up as a new thing on GUI objects. “Filter” in this sense is meaningless to you, and “Point” doesn’t help lead you to understanding what it might be either. So you try changing the property value to see what it does… and this also does nothing, because most of the time people are using images at their actual size in GUIs. You give up and move on with work on your game because you have stuff to get done.

As a result, we figured we needed a term for this feature that would give people a better shot at guessing what the property does. Yes, it will be slightly less convenient for technical users, but it should not be that hard for them to tell what it does anyways despite the non-standard terminology.

16 Likes

Great example, thanks for posting :slight_smile:

I understand, but most people who upload images to use in games at least opened GIMP or Paint.NET once and you simply cannot use those programs without looking into what the different interpolations settings are when scaling up or down.

1 Like

Nope, some people use MS paint or just grap images from online and don’t know these terms.

In fact I used GIMP but never knew these terms.

I think that you’re assuming everyone else takes the same approach to development that you presumably do: Getting to know their editors really well and experimenting with all the features available. Not everyone does that, many people care more about their end goal (completing their game) and only learn enough about each software to get it to do what they need it to do.

9 Likes

Mesh-based Nearest Neighbor texture filtering when? I wanna make somethin’ cool.

8 Likes

If people don’t care about their editor’s features, then I highly doubt they’ll even bother using this feature. I understand the reason behind this choice, I just don’t agree with it. It would have been much better if a developer page explaining interpolation to beginners was written instead of simplifying the feature itself. Now I just wonder what you’d do if something like hqx were to be added.

4 Likes

Completely agree with you i don’t get it why would simplifying the terms help, they are universal and they are literally everywhere.
I believe whoever needs this feature knows how are they called and using different terms might confuse people that don’t know what it is as no one uses these terms

In this case if a new developer simply googled “Bilinear” or “NearestNeighbor” they will get a bunch of detailed info about image interpolation and can learn what it is. Having them be named these non-standard names makes it harder for new developers to learn what these features actually do because now their only resource is the developer hub instead of all of Google. Very few people are going to be able to guess what this feature does just from changing the properties

7 Likes

thanks so much!! now i can finally make pixelart and not destroy performance

5 Likes

I’ve wanted something like this ever since I started using Roblox Studio. Much appreciated, and I’m looking forward to when this gets rolled out to decals, textures, and particles as well.

Finally! This is such a useful feature for my game as all of the images I use are 32x32 pixels in size. I can finally get a crisp look for my textures.

Will decals, textures and surface appearance ever get this feature?

6 Likes

Me vibin at age 14 like :neutral_face:. I’m probably not the only one. I’m pretty sure the majority of Roblox devs aren’t 18+.

1 Like