ReservedServers not working occasionally

I’ll be adding some success/failure stats to teleports and monitoring the situation.

I’d personally recommend both throwing up a loading UI and internally aggressively checking for errors and retrying.

3 Likes

Great!

Doing both of the suggestions already. I’ll keep gathering data to see if I can uncover some better or more explanatory details for you.

I switched entirely over to the server handling the teleportation, and it seemed to solve the issues for most people. But now we’re starting to experience the problem with some new players again.

The server attempts to teleport, and retries until the player is teleported. The teleport is also wrapped in a pcall, but the “teleport exception” still occurs clientside.
I no longer personally have any problem with teleporting between our places, so I’m unable to replicate.

Did you catch any interesting data for your success/failure stats?

Still hasn’t gone out yet, sorry!
So the problem is with new players? (Does this mean guest players?)

It appears to only affect some new players. Of the ~60 players we’ve gained over the past day I’ve only got reports from two. The issue could definitely occur for more players that haven’t reported it in, however.

Good news, though:
I found a small solution to it yesterday, and it turns out one of the places they were trying to teleport to had it’s Access set to “Group Members”. Setting it to “Everyone” solved it for one of the players, while I’m awaiting response from the remaining player.

If the access-property was the entire issue, I’m sorry for taking up your time with such a trivial thing! Although, if that is the issue - I would recommend adding in a clearer warning, like notifying the user that they do not have the permission to enter that place.

I’ll look into it. I think I made a change a few weeks ago to show the HTTP error, but currently that might just be the status code.

So was just checking but “Bad Request” is about all you get from the web API (you may be able to wireshark the client webrequest part of this…), so may be a no go for the time being. Sorry about that!

No fix? :frowning:

Here’s something that may help if you’re still having trouble, heard this from the web team:

There’s flood control on the teleport web request (so it’ll start failing with correct parameters if you start spamming it). There’s already a few retries in the actual Teleport implementation, so waiting a few seconds before trying to lua teleport after failing once.

Finally, I agree it’s unfortunate that we (for the time being) can’t give a more detailed error message on Teleport. Please make sure all your permissions/universe settings/reserved server tokens are all correct before you say for certain it’s a bug.

If there’s something that you absolutely cannot get to work (or find the cause of), please post relevant code and place urls here. Everything that’s been mentioned (except possibly browser play server discovery times) should be addressable developer side.