Resetting a model's pivot breaks local orientation

Summary
Local orientation allows for the positioning and rotating of parts and models based on its own orientation. However, if a model’s pivot is reset, this local orientation feature breaks and the handles for positioning and orienting are stuck to the default directions in world orientation.

Reproduction Steps

1. Select a model
  2. Reset pivot
  3. Enable local orientation

Expected Result
The handles for moving and rotating this model should be attached to the model’s orientation (local orientation).

Actual Result
The handles for moving and rotating this model are facing the default directions (world orientation).

Video

Note: please look for the “L” label in the video which indicates whether or not local orientation is enabled.

5 Likes

We’ve filed a ticket into our internal database for this issue, and we will update you when we have further information!

Thanks for flagging!

2 Likes

Could you privately send me the model in question?

I suspect that what’s going on here is that one of the largest parts in the model is a rotated one which the reset command ends up basing the reset orientation off of: If you insert a large part aligned the way you want into the model and use Reset Pivot again I suspect you’ll get the desired orientation, is that the case?

The bottom line is that Reset Pivot has to guess what the intended orientation is and sometimes you have to give it some help to guess correctly.

This applies to all models. The broken local orientation only applies to selecting the model itself and not the parts inside the model. This includes models where all parts have the same orientation.

Uhh… looking at the code I’m actually not sure how it ever worked before. I’ll just update the Reset Pivot command with some significantly better logic.

4 Likes

Hello, are there any updates to this? I still seem to be experiencing this issue.

1 Like

Yes, the updated behavior will ship in next week’s Studio release.

3 Likes

The changes are enabled. I think the new behavior should be pretty good at guessing intent, but let me know if there’s any cases that it still gets wrong.

Not sure if I received this change yet, but it’s still broken for me.
Side note: the “L” icon is also sometimes missing.

1 Like

Is the issue still occurring on your end @Real_BenTheMiner ?

Sort of. I have to manually reset the pivot to fix local orientation.

If you’re still seeing suboptimal behavior, could you share some of the models where it doesn’t work like you’d expect in a DM?

It affects multiple models, likely all that are at an angle. If resetting the pivot fixes it now, that is fine for me (though I’m not sure if any others think otherwise).

Also, here’s another issue I’m experiencing:
I am selecting two parts, duplicating them, and then grouping them. However, once I delete one of the parts, the pivot of the group remains like this.

Resetting the pivot fixes it.

I’m not sure if this is worth addressing.

1 Like

Yes, you’ll have to reset pivot one more time to get the fixed pivots: I fixed the reset pivot behavior but you have to run that new behavior by pressing the button to get the fixed pivots.

That pivot not moving when you delete stuff is not a bug. The whole idea of the pivot is that models actually have a persistent reference point of their own which won’t change even if you change the contents of the model adding or removing parts.

That’s actually one of the primary intended use case of the Reset Pivot button, to get back to a sane default if you’ve mucked with the contents of the model and just want the obvious pivot back.

1 Like

Interesting. Then I assume everything now is intended behavior? If that’s the case, then this bug has been solved. Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.