RespectFilteringEnabled is not a valid member of SoundService

• Describe the bug. Describe what is happening when the bug occurs. Describe what you would normally expect to occur.

I’m seeing the following error/stack trace very frequently:

RespectFilteringEnabled is not a valid member of SoundService
    Workspace.<PlayerName>.Sound.LocalSound, line 101 - field Play
    Workspace.<PlayerName>.Sound.LocalSound, line 222 - field ?
    Workspace.<PlayerName>.Sound.LocalSound, line 268 - global stateUpdated
    Workspace.<PlayerName>.Sound.LocalSound, line 279
  • When did the bug start happening? If we can tie it to a specific release that helps us figure out what we broke.

This started happening Aug 30, at 2:31pm Pacific

2 Likes

RespectFilteringEnabled is an unscriptable property. It cannot be manipulated by scripts, only through the Studio widget. This is intended and therefore not a bug.

If there is a reason why you want this to be a scriptable property, please file a Client Feature Request with your specific use case where you require the property to be scriptable. I wouldn’t really know why you’d want to toggle this in run-time though.

I do think there’s reason for it to be at least readable.

The property changes how sounds behaves when played, and some scripts will need to switch how they play a given sound depending on that property - the legacy way being SoundService:PlayLocalSound(sound).

Workspace.FilteringEnabled is currently set to PluginSecurity, and scripts/localscripts can read its value, but not set it - it should be the same for this property, as they are closely related and relevant to the above use-case.

Perhaps I should have been more explicit. This is not my code. This is ROBLOX code causing the error. This is happening in the Character.Sound.LocalSound file as indicated in the call stack.

3 Likes