Response to code safety review discussion

This actually solves some issues:

Also:

So don’t worry too much about this, unless something important actually gets changed.
Roblox will actually solve everything long-term.

1 Like

This concerns me a tiny bit. So you’re not looking for profanity, but if you find it…
Well, the fact that they are saying they’re not specifically looking for it but don’t give a straight forward answer on what they will do if they find it somewhat concerns me a bit.

I know that they say

But that’s just for script flagging, and what they’re looking for.

I’m probably overthinking this too much, but It’s safe to say I’ll continue to keep my code clean, haha.

1 Like

I don’t want to obfuscate my code, though. I like being able to read and modify it without the use of external tools

1 Like

That’s the trade off of obfuscating your code.

I’m sorry, but this is stated in the TOS and common sense; when you publish something to Roblox, you give them the right to use it in advertising, the right to remove it, and the right to look inside it.

There are legitimate concerns about this, such as API secrets; if you meant that in your original post, you should support the KeyService feature request.

2 Likes

I’m livid right now.

I’ve worked on nothing today, I’ve been watching Youtube movies provided for free with ads.

I’m re-terminated.

Roblox, this is getting exhausting and demoralizing.

No warning, no ask to fix this said place, and the place that got me terminated in the first place was converted to a default map as I had the game moved to another account.

Why am I terminated? Why is no one warning me? Why is this ‘code safety review special team’ NOT NOTIFYING ME… I’m upset! I’m LIVID.

The moment I got unterminated, I went full force to try to help everyone I can.

Infact, I’m busy trying to be a service to the community, reporting malicious plugins that are still not yet taken down and this is Roblox’s way of paying me back. It’s unfair.
I’ve even been helping games from long ago, check their own game scripts.

What can I do Roblox… Or should I say WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO?

69 Likes

Server scripts never have their bytecode sent to the client, so an exploiter won’t be able to view it. Module and Local scripts do unless they’re in the places you mentioned above.

1 Like

Do obfuscated scripts get moderated?

1 Like

Obfuscated scripts cannot be moderated because they cannot be read.
If the script is doing something bad, that can still get you moderated, but it wouldn’t be the specially-trained team catching you (because they can’t).

I’m not sure how this could possibly be effective, as it’s effectively opt-in moderation. Unless roblox bans obfuscated code (which seems highly unlikely), any bad actor can just drop their script into a free IronBrew obfuscator and the code safety review team is powerless to stop them.

1 Like

I made an advanced chat filter and included multiple swears. Is that going to get me banned or deleted?

1 Like

I was told that I wouldn’t be banned but then I’ve also heard stories from people that they’ve been banned. I’m guessing I should most likely remove it to be on the safe side.

3 Likes

I feel so sorry for you. I’ve read your comments on both of these code review posts, and everything I see just makes me feel disgusted. This is getting ridiculous. ROBLOX needs to step it up.

8 Likes

Roblox isn’t the same as it once was. The moderation system really needs an overhaul to prevent innocent users like @NickoSCP and tons of others from getting banned.

4 Likes

I made this poll for a little research.

Has ROBLOX clarified everything you needed clarification on in this post?

If even one thing that wasn’t clarified, please click no. If every one of your questions was answered, please click yes.

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

5 Likes

I feel like Roblox is just having a huge strain on the moderation team on trying to moderate the huge platform that it became…

Maybe it should be time to have Roblox split into two different types of platforms, made for kids/teens and made for 18+.

Roblox is an amazing platform, and Roblox could have this 16+ or 18+ option be behind a paywall so that content you upload can only be used on 16+ labeled games and people who hadn’t paid the 16+ paywall can’t see 16+ games or view the 16+ labeled content.

It’s easy enough to have it show on your bank statement, a payment of $20, ‘Roblox 16+’ which can easily be shown on Google Search as Roblox unmoderated incase parents don’t understand what ‘Roblox 16+’ means to know that it’s unmoderated side of Roblox.

It could heavily help reduce the moderation load on Roblox for users that are seeking 16+ games or want to develop games that may have high levels of gore like this twitter post [spoiler]bewarned, this is highly graphic content, but is developed on Roblox and may never be on Roblox without 16+/18+ paywall or a way for uploading this game without moderation issues… https://twitter.com/PNoahh/status/1250530260304769026[/spoiler] which is a great detail of what games people who are over 16/18+ could play on Roblox.

Roblox could even generate tons of revenue by having this 16+/18+ paywall to access 16+/18+ labeled content almost like how you have to pay to play Minecraft and you can do whatever you want with your Minecraft server.

Developers could even worry less about having to have more detections to thwart against exploiters that exploit on their 16+/18+ games as if they ban a 16+/18+ account, they’ll have to get another account and pay the ‘paywall’ to access 16+/18+ on Roblox.

and I as a developer, can just have everything assigned to be 16+/18+ games only, so I don’t have to worry about the code in my game being ‘safe for kids’ and not have to fight for the un-termination of my account.

It may not be Roblox’s best interest but having extra revenue to the point of $20 per person to be granted access to 16+/18+ labeled content or games seems like a no brainer for a HUGE game platform to expand towards.

• Make an paywall option for Roblox to allow 16+/18+ games, around $20 or so
  • Make a paywall option for Roblox to allow 16+/18+ games, around $0.50 or so
  • Make an option to verify age, Roblox Unmoderated, a ‘gift card’ like card at stores like Walmart which can require age verification at the counter
  • Keep Roblox kids friendly only

0 voters

9 Likes

I wanted to do some more research. Please fill out both of these polls.

How many of you liked this update BEFORE the new post?

• Liked the Update
  • Disliked the Update

0 voters

How many of you liked this update AFTER the new post?

• Liked the Update
  • Disliked the Update

0 voters

2 Likes

I have returned as I was summoned from the @NickoSCP ban

Roblox, do not just go out of your way to ban, or in some cases straight up delete the account for inappropriate scripts. Keep in mind, the user here has no idea their code was flagged by moderation.

Inform them first, before going out of your way to delete them. Poison the asset or close the game for review until they fix it. Don’t just ban them. That’s just bad moderation and will drag users away from your platform.

19 Likes

I think the developer community deserves more detail as to how this “specially trained” team is trained, so that we (the developers) know how it’s all going to go down. As long as you keep that to the team and the administrators only, this situation of us being paranoid will only get worse. I hate this update, but if you were to give us more information and answer more of our questions, then perhaps I could understand this just a little more. We have API keys and ideas we want to protect. By making a team to review our code, you can’t guarantee the safety of our code. I will not continue to develop on ROBLOX if this “team” cannot be proven to be one that will abide by the rules. You’ve had some bad updates, but this one hits home to me. I’m done.

3 Likes

Now yet again, today was a horrible day. My DevForum was logged out, no idea if it was automated or by force. I then even lost my ‘Member’ role on the Discord DevForum group so I couldn’t even step my foot onto Roblox anywhere with other developers and then sometime later today, my account gets unterminated again and I don’t have a message in my email, in my DevForum inbox, or even on my Roblox account about what’s happening about this moderation history… Did this affect my chances of DevEx because of these multiple moderation actions on my account? Am I on a secret ban list and got banned in a wave? What is going on. I don’t even have motivation to work on my Roblox account because I fear it’s going to be the exact same situation. Account terminated out of the blue, no warning, now even worried about my DevForum being logged out and pushed around on the DevForum Discord group.

Where can I get an actual update about the status of my account?

6 Likes

Not to be rude but what does this have to do with the topic?

1 Like