Response to code safety review discussion

That is half correct.

They do not need to receive a report to take the author of the team create down.

The solution to this is exactly what @DevPig said if your concerned about children being exposed to… whatever gore can be shown in a script?

3 Likes

You and @DevPig seem to not realise that Roblox are reading the scripts so see what they do, not to search for stuff in the comments or variable names, but rather to see if the script is failing to filter correctly or if the script is inserting harmful content.

Again, searching the script is only if they can’t resolve the report by playing the game.

Reuben Sim is not a reliable source for various reasons, and is also a user that isn’t allowed on Roblox.

If Roblox had a hard-coded policy, people would abuse it to be ‘on the line’ or use
‘it’s not in the rules’ as an excuse for showing harmful content.

I feel like we’re going in circles here; most concerns about this policy have already been addressed.

3 Likes

This hardly clears anything up on the privacy-end. On top of that, automatic detectors often return false positives leading to pointless “looking into” by “specially-trained teams”. If any time or effort at all is spent on reading code I think it’d be better spent on code from the client to see if players have injected malicious scripts/exploits.

You clearly did not read the OP and do not know how exploits work.

If it’s the client, none of it is sent to Roblox and even if they did, a cheater could just… block the request- with client, it’s running on their computer, so they have total control.

This policy is essentially required for a UGC platform because it helps proactively monitor harmful content, and helps it be removed before it’s seen by a user.

2 Likes

I don’t think you get it rather i don’t think you get it at all, you keep saying theres harmful content when otherwise it can easily be fixed if they implemented the solution as i said in my last post,

You keep saying harmful content, but you actually not saying what the problem is, a lua script is not harmful to anyone only to the game its self.

4 Likes

So with my game, the issue just being forgetful to filter text on a friends only and zero visits game that I was still working on at the time…

makes it a valid excuse to terminate my account that existed for 2 years?

Roblox finally sent me a reply after 5 months about my game saying that they were to keep this termination on my account over my mistake of forgetting to filter. It was only the decision of community sage members on the devforum to have enough of an outcry to have me unterminated over a mistake I wanted to own up to.

I’m thankful that I have the account back now and that Roblox wont simply claim a bug that I got unterminated and reterminated again.

But, no developer should have to go through this amount of hoops for a mistake like I did.

7 Likes

I don’t think you actually understand what I’m saying. I know what Roblox is doing, I have read the post. Roblox can take your game down for stuff like comments or variables names in your script, as they specifically do not state that they wont if they find it. And what does your reply even mean in regard to what I replied to you? I stated that what you said is partly false, and it was. I don’t understand a reason to counteract what I said. Instead you could have given another solution. to the one DevPig stated.

4 Likes

Yet roblox on multiple occasions have done this exactly. For crying out loud. Someone made an extra filter that the client can’t even see and they were terminated. Not once, but twice.

7 Likes

And those terminations were reversed as they were a mistake.

1 Like

The more important part is that they’re happening in the first place. Of course they are reversed.

5 Likes

They were only reversed because he ranted about it on here - ROBLOX Support did nothing to help and decided to keep the unfair termination in place. If the user in question wasn’t still logged into the devforum, he would still be terminated. I don’t see how you can support a system where a user can get unfairly terminated and denied their appeal with no way back.

11 Likes

Yeah, I believe Roblox Devforum now automatically logs you out if your account had a moderation activity. Small developers only source of help is appeals email or public outcry.

My first termination was in January and I was able to stay logged in my DevForum until in March that they announced about code getting reviewed, just had to remind myself to never hit logout.
Second termination when the random first un-termination was deemed a bug, my DevForum was logged out and then I couldn’t post about my problem to anyone anymore.

A day after getting reterminated, I finally gotten surprize unterminated again and a message from staff about the conditions of my termination status, they really considered to keep me terminated but understood the outcry from Community Sage members…

That’s not right, developers should be able to fix their code, not have to make a new account and buy more Robux to customize their character to their own liking again.

I don’t want to have to start over on all the other Roblox games I’ve been playing on. I shouldn’t have to make an alt to either be the one that I play games on or upload my places on so I don’t loose all my progress in games.

6 Likes

Loaded question, why must this be paid for?

Oh that was my suggestion to maybe have Roblox branch into two. Have adult/teenage accounts verify themselves that they’re a mature account, have it show up on a bank statement as ‘Roblox Mature’ etc.

So that Roblox doesn’t have to enforce all games on Roblox to be kids friendly, Roblox could just focus on making sure the developers that marked their games for kids/everyone to be safe for them and then other developers that wish to develop for a more mature audience gets a more reduced limitation on what they can develop, such as gore, amputation, stuff like Rated M games on Roblox.

Roblox is starting to become a very powerful platform, they really need to consider branching to more mature audiences. You may think that Roblox is strictly kids only, it’s because Roblox is making it be only kids friendly at this time. You can’t have high amounts of gore, you have to use Roblox filtering which filters the word ‘lmao’ and randomly filters your messages that you say over and over. They’re really trying to focus on avoiding another PR issue, when all they can do is put the excuse on the parents that paid the kid access to ‘Roblox Mature’ content.

Stuff like inappropriate content of an ‘adult 18+’ matter should stay off Roblox for sure, but stuff like gore is still being a grey area on Roblox. Some game developers get their game slapped under review when they just released a trailer, Roblox staff are being forced to moderate everything when they could just moderate games that developers mark as kids friendly.

Assets could be restricted to be only able to be used on mature only games, games could have two versions, kids friendly and teens.

It’s just a suggestion after all, it is Roblox decision to keep with being kids friendly after all. I grew up on Roblox for a long time, and now being mature, I would like to play some mature games, but Roblox doesn’t have anyone working on that because they can’t.

3 Likes

This makes Roblox sound like something way different than it is, if you see what I’m referring to. I don’t think making a +18 part of Roblox will fix this problem. The issue here is the Roblox moderation system, not ages of players.

Edit: is the devforum being really slow right now?

1 Like

Yeah, it’s being really slow right now.

Not just an 18+ side of Roblox, I’m talking about a 16+ of Roblox where chat filtering isn’t so strict, games could be more ‘graphic’.

I just believe having a 16+ side would allow developers less ‘harsh filtering’ from code being reviewed for being harmful by having developers that want to develop for the mature to only have warnings instead of terminations.

It was a thought since Roblox is getting lots of players lately to play that the moderation team seems overwhelmed and is simply declining the majority of appeals. I’ve had the blunt end of being declined by the appeals team and it feels like they didn’t even message me.

3 Likes

We’ve all been there, it’s a sad part about this platform. It’s pushed me to want to leave the platform a few times, ngl.

1 Like

A lot of things can be identified, it just takes more complex filters.

Again, this is fighting a problem that doesn’t exist.
In my 6 years of playing this game, I once joined a game with sexual content. The sexual content was added by an exploiter.

1 Like

No, they’re looking for content that runs counter to the Roblox TOS. For example, @NickoSCP was repeatedly terminated and unterminated (he’s now unterminated for good because of the community sages’ dissatisfaction) because he failed to use FilterStringASync (which means he didn’t apply Roblox’s chat filter to his custom chat interface).

There are still problems with that, one being that he wasn’t given a warning before being terminated.

Even human moderation can result in a false moderation? Gee, that sure makes me confident in how “specially-trained” this code moderation team is.

Regardless, our code is already being automatically parsed through by an AI. That AI is capable of warning players automatically. But, in the all the moderations I’ve heard come of this system, not one was warned. The only warning I’d ever seen came from a false-positive, and that’s just objectively flawed. Warnings shouldn’t be automated regardless, as the AI is so well-known for its infamous false-positives.

Everything that has come of this feature has only led me closer to the conclusion that it’s more automated than the developer relations team is making it out to be.

4 Likes