"Restart Now/Later" prompt when changing Studio settings NEEDS to be dynamic

This popup is extremely annoying. For game development, due to needing to see navmeshes or physical geometry, I will change these settings pretty much every time I open up Studio - prompting this message. But, of course, as experienced developers might know, these settings can be toggled without restarting Studio very easily, it is not necessary at all. Changing any setting, you’ll notice, opens up this annoying menu. Why is that?

It only shows up once, but that’s not really the main problem - It misleads newer studio users into thinking they need to restart Studio. It’s easy to assume that, if this pops up, something you changed likely needs a restart - So a newer developer might easily get slowed down into this restart.

Which, of course… after restarting, will re-prompt that same popup when you change another simple setting.

I don’t think an option to disable it completely is what we need here. I think it’s important that if a setting IS changed that can require a restart, it’s presented as such - But can’t we please have it so it only pops up for settings that are known to require restart? The developers likely already know which settings require restarting - Because they’re the developers. If Roblox can flag certain studio settings as requiring restart, we can avoid having this pop-up altogether until we need it, and then have it pop up as needed without much restraint.

This is quite important to me, serving as a few second annoyance every studio session that has no reason to exist. A change must be implemented - for my sanity’s sake, if anything else.

13 Likes

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! We have verified that you’re correct that prompt doesn’t need to be shown for Nav Mesh hide and show. I don’t have an ETA for when this will be released but we will remove the prompt.

6 Likes

A lot of other studio settings don’t need this either, such as plugin debugging service.

2 Likes

Behind the scenes this is probably annoyingly complicated to reliably remove. Each setting would need to be flagged in some way whether or not it requires a Studio restart, and if anything in the engine ever changes subtly that happens to break changing a particular setting on the fly without a restart, this prompt will become inconsistent. I personally would not expect a fix for this any time soon, but if there is infra already to do the above, who knows.

I hope this means you’ll be trying to do the same for more settings, as I’m pretty sure most of them (if not all) give this prompt.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.