Restricting minor features by user Age

The way he stated it, was not in that of correlation to account age.

1 Like

He mentioned account age in the beginning of his message so I’m sure that’s what he meant throughout the whole paragraph.

:hearts:

3 Likes

You could make your own captcha system that displays 5 alphanumeric characters and requires the user to input the captcha into a text box for submission. If the remote event data sent to the server doesn’t include the right captcha string, ignore it.

Yeah, there are ways to exploit this feature but I don’t understand why anyone would waste hours of their time making a way to exploit a small feature like this.

My apologies. I did not notice that. :slight_smile:

Well in regards to this, even this could be faked by an exploiter.

This is an incredibly stupid idea and I wonder why games even do this in the first place. This will discourage new players from coming to your game / playing your game and not to mention, exploiters can simply use old alternative accounts or accounts from account dumps. This does absolutely nothing to stop exploiters and is an incredibly stupid fix for something that can be fixed with alternative means. All this does is set a bad example and discourage new players from even touching your game.

Group games are a heavy target for exploiters, trollers, and a bunch of other people that flame, bypass, and do all sorts of things. As much as it isn’t worth it to restrict new players, I can justify why one might take this action. While I personally don’t do this, I was asking this question in regards to minor features such as hiding a small UI, etc. I’ve been on the group business in Roblox and if you see what I see on a daily basis, I can 100% see why group games do this. They see no other way to solve the problem as cafe, hotel games are a magnet for individuals who spend their entire day ruining other players experiences. The worse part is that there’s not much we can do to fix it, but they see adding an age script as a last resort.

2 Likes

No point in doing it anyway, cause exploiters can change their AccountAge and have it replicate. Check out Rdite’s AccountAge game for reference (they check account ages server-side). It’s incredibly stupid why Roblox would give clients that much power.

Edit: I forgot to mention that they could also change their MembershipType and have it replicate too. That’s where all the “BC IS STILL ALIVE!?” and screenshots stuff come from.

2 Likes

No, look at the game’s account age leader board. The top players have an account age of math.huge. This wouldn’t be possible because Roblox wasn’t around when the dinosaurs still existed.

Edit: I guess they removed the names on there. There used to be some on there with really inappropriate usernames and they’d have the account age of math.huge. Screenshots of them should exist somewhere.

Kicking users based on account account age has been said to be not allowed and can be easily circumvented since exploiters have access to old accounts.

4 Likes

Didn’t he address this in the literal post?

Both very fair points - I’ve never seen any rule regarding stopping accounts under a certain age from joining except for on the Featured Games Guidelines

Also the old account case may be true but - it’s a lot easier to make a new account than breach an old one. An old account can get banned and eventually you won’t have any left.

As for the point made by @LexiDog5 I understand where you’re coming from more - however from the eyes of a new player I would only really be attracted to game on the front page. Not everyone but I feel like most legitimate new players would be attracted to games such as jailbreak or adopt me, rather than a cafe.

I do agree that 30 days may be a bit much - and I would recommend setting the limit as low as possible. But this script would stop the process of

Getting banned in game > New account being created > Joins and re-offends on new accounts

2 Likes

Do you have proof that kicking users based on account age isn’t allowed? That would be really usefull.

It’s an unclear area of development. Better safe than sorry.

Unless it is included in a meaningful source such as the ToU - I wouldn’t say it’s an issue.

1 Like

Kicking potentially legitimate new users is horrible UX. Trolls/exploiters often have access to very old accounts. Account age should not be your heuristic for determining a potential troll.

1 Like

But after joining and getting banned on each of those - they are back at square one? Takes them 30 days to join where not using the script allows them to create an account + join instantly.

Maybe so - but that is why I’ve made it easy to change. So if a developer gets complaints of an issue like that it can be easily changed to fit the severity.

I feel as if even setting the value to 2 days would be effective - it stops the rate of how quickly alternatives can join.

I set it to 30 but have provided clear instructions on how to change that.

There’s not much you can do to separate them.

The ToU doesn’t mention a lot of specific things, but it does mention that any forms of discrimination is not allowed. Age filtering is a form of discrimination.

3 Likes

It can’t be counted as discrimination if it is used in games such as Frappe and the game hasn’t been taken down?

Also - this tool doesn’t have to be used. It’s completely the players decision. I personally would never use it because I don’t involve in games with these issues - but for games that are easily targeted I think it’s a good tool.

Moderation is handled case by case, don’t use someone else’s wrongs to justify it. Nobody is flagging the game so you can’t say it’s allowed when nobody is using the report button!

2 Likes