Review Your Generative AI Data Sharing Preferences

I understand, I am merely saying that moderation at scale is hard and that any suggestions should be grounded in the reality that working at a company as large as Roblox to get what you want is hard and slow, and that any moderation system working on the DAU that Roblox has is high

Should we continue to fight to improve moderation? Yes.

Is it unacceptable that avatar items are not moderated well? Absolutely. The fact that in half of 2023, 0% of avatar items in these 3 critical rules areas mentioned earlier wasn’t actioned on, is unacceptable beyond belief.

If it was a chat message, 99.990% was actioned on. 99.93% of hate speech is actioned on. 76% of hate speech content was removed or deprioritized.

Is it unacceptable that you was called a slur? Yes.
Is it unfair to say they wasn’t moderated? Yes. The evidence suggests that it very likely was actioned on and not every moderation action is known to end users (and Roblox is working viewing your moderation reports right now, see RDC 24)

The issue is at this stage prioritising the workload of bugs and creating new bugs and having the workforce needed to do this to a high enough standard, with the scale and speed best needed to support the massive scale Roblox works out.

Everything I’ve said is not a criticism of you but merely another view on the matter which can help expand the detail on what’s going on, so when you make a suggestion to improve you are more informed and grounded in the real world work being done to keep players safe even if it may not always seem so

2 Likes

Your models in your inventory will not be used for AI training unless they’re included in an experience that you specifically choose to opt-in for training purposes.

1 Like

Respectfully: literally yes. You have two choices: accept it, or leave. Make your choice and live with it.

I’m not saying that you can’t complain. God knows I’ve complained about things Roblox has done, and will continue to do so. But unless you’re willing to leave over it, you have no power so complaining is all it is. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yeah, surely that’s a take anyone can utilize in real life. That definitely got us somewhere by just leaving and not ‘complaining’ as you prefer to label it as.

Anyway, a company this size should know better than to attempt something like this, but it’s natural for this company to exploit children.

4 Likes

Glad this isn’t being forced onto existing assets.

It is, however, utterly outrageous that you are setting the default for existing accounts to ON for all future creations, pending a setting change. There are many developers who do not read this forum and will not be aware. Please re-consider this and default to OFF for existing user accounts, and ON for new accounts only.

7 Likes

I can’t get behind having this on by default for all users & having the toggle button hidden behind the increasingly hard to navigate labyrinth that is the new Creator Hub.

IMO the only reason to have a controversial toggle on by default and hidden away when most creators would strongly prefer it to be disabled is to make it more likely that creators will accidentally and unknowingly share data that they wouldn’t have shared had they known how to turn it off.

I never would’ve found that toggle if it weren’t linked here, and like most creators, I’m not always checking the Devforum. I could have easily missed this announcement and never known to turn it off. I didn’t even get here from the Devforum, I got here from someone pinging me on Discord with a Tweet talking about this change.

This system relies on developers being unaware that every single thing they create on Roblox from now on is being used to replace them.

I think it’s important that creators under 13 can still see the UI, just not be able to click the toggle button. If this setting is enabled by default, does this mean Roblox will flip the switch and start collecting data from their experiences and assets the moment they turn 13? If they never saw the UI before, how will they know where to find it and disable it manually?

9 Likes

You will own nothing and you will be happy.

6 Likes

You’re entitled to your own opinions just as much as I am. I’m just saying that I have a much more successful track record than you do, so you should consider toning it down. Hostility gets you nowhere.

Trust me. I’ve tried. After 10 years, you tend to accept that overt hostility doesn’t work. The reason I know I’ve impacted the platform more than you is because I’ve been here for over 10 years, and in that time I’ve had the chance to go “please no” multiple times to Roblox engineers and staff members. That doesn’t happen as much these days, and it certainly doesn’t happen on announcement posts. It does still happen when things are still in development though.

It’s really hard to convince a company to change its mind, but it’s a lot easier to convince them to not do something to begin with. I strongly recommend you engage with community programs as you can because they need more people who are actively critical of Roblox’s decisions. However, you can’t just hurl insults and hostility at them. You have to meet them half way.

5 Likes

Oh boy… here we go…. “Powering imagination” with AI aren’t we.

1 Like

There’s a difference between costing nothing, and being free of attribution. It’s now clear that distributing ‘free’ assets on Roblox means the latter.

The reasoning that I am reading in this thread for why free assets are being forcibly opted-in is because someone else could upload them as derivative works in the future, and opt them in, so it’s an eventuality that free works will be included.

However, the same is true for paid, or third party assets too? At the scale Roblox works at how can they be certain that an uploader is the true author of the work? The ‘rights manager’ exists for a reason, but the issue is that in some cases once something is fed into the training data it sounds like it cannot be removed:

And if it can, it could take a year for it to stop being used in the model:

1 Like

Agreed, completely outrageous that this is being applied by default to new assets created by existing users. I could atleast somewhat understand if old users (accounts created up to and including July 10th 2024) were “grandfathered” and had the option set to OFF by default whilst newer accounts didn’t, though preferably I wouldn’t have these systems at all.

This AI bubble, when it crashes, will have disastrous consequences, both on and off of Roblox - particularly with regards to data usage/privacy concerns.

On a separate note, I’ve mentioned it in the past, but the Creator Hub has been a massive step backwards in terms of the Roblox developer experience (and I’m saying this as someone who’s been here for 10 years) and the whole premise of a separate, badly-organised subdomain website needs to be rethought as the legacy develop page was much easier to navigate.

8 Likes

However, the same is true for paid, or third party assets too? At the scale Roblox works at how can they be certain that an uploader is the true author of the work? The ‘rights manager’ exists for a reason, but the issue in this case is that once something is fed into the training data it sounds like it cannot removed:

We will periodically pull fresh data and retrain models, so if you change your data sharing preferences to not share, the next round of models will not include that data. Similarly, if you delete any data, it will be removed and not included.

Creator Store paid plug-ins are not included in the data sharing program and we will have special handling for paid Creator Store assets such as models if they are opted out, and will share more at the launch of paid assets.

5 Likes

Our goal is not to replace you with our own UGC generator. At our core, we are a creator-driven platform built around your content—not Roblox-created content. Our goal has always been to make it faster and easier for you to create content. We launched AI-powered features like Avatar Auto Setup and Assistant to help automate small tasks and improve your quality of life. Avatar Auto Setup automatically rigs, cages, segments, and skins your 3D models, eliminating hours of manual work. Creator-contributed Avatar data will help it be more responsive to more diverse Avatar types.

We will eventually release our image-to-avatar technology as APIs, allowing you to build monetizable avatar-creation experiences. We want to grow the existing UGC creator ecosystem—not replace it. Great content requires great creativity; you will always produce the best content on the platform, and our vision is that AI tools will help support you.

8 Likes

Thank you for your response, this is a relief to hear.

2 Likes

It’s honestly relieving to see that we have the ability to consent to our creations being used for generative AI compared to other services that would outright steal creations to utilize in their own gen AI products.

However if you are going to stay with the decision to have it activated by default it feels scummy to not make it more apparent to developers that their creations are being used for this. Hopefully this decision will either be changed which isn’t likely or the option is more clear than just something in the fine print when it comes to publishing a user’s creations.

3 Likes

then make mobile support for Studio :evil:

2 Likes

Making this on by default is incredibly gross. I have nothing else to say.

ETA: I’ve also made it previously clear, and it is my personal belief, that I will personally support AI as a means of assisting real creatives in their tasks. It’s no different to how a lot of automation we know today works that people don’t call “AI” but still has the same role of helping do away with unnecessary manual labour. I just purely, and only, do not like opt-in by default.

7 Likes

:yawning_face: I sleepy. Wake me up when this nightmare is over.

2 Likes

You’re acting extremely unprofessional. If they decided to start selling data to third parties it’s a lawsuit waiting to happen, and overall I don’t understand why there’s so much hate when it’s literally just 3 clicks to stop AI using your models.

3 Likes

wow this is really scummy. somehow, this still isn’t the worst change you guys have made in the last year or so. congrats on that i guess.

2 Likes