Rework the 'close' button inside the viewport's tab

As a Roblox developer, I sometimes accidentally close a file when I do not want to do so.

The reason why I sometimes accidentally close a file is because there is a small ‘x’ inside of the viewport tab that I sometimes accidentally click on and then the current file closes. It’s the one highlighted in this picture.

The placement of this little ‘x’ is a bit awkward because I often switch between scripts and the world view by clicking on these tabs. And with just a small misclick I sometimes accidentally close my studio instance without meaning to. Especially in Team Create where studio saves changes automatically this will close the file without warning - which can be annoying when you have to reload a large file.

I know some developers who do use this button to close a file so I understand that outright removing the button might not be ideal, but I would like to see some improvement to be made at the least.

Perhaps it can be changed so that you have to right-click on it first before you can close it? Or maybe studio can always show a warning when clicking on this button, even when the place file has already been saved? I don’t think a small amount of added friction would matter much for an action you only take once per session, but I’d like to hear other people’s thoughts as well.

12 Likes

A confirmation window not popping up is an absolute UX failure.

5 Likes

I accidently closed my game yesterday, preventing me from undoing. Very annoying!

3 Likes

With the new docking, we are looking at making this close re-dock the Viewport if it’s floating. While we are there, I’ll ask the team to put in a confirmation dialog for a docked Viewport.

4 Likes