Right to erasure out of control

I have been having these messages for over a year and sometimes daily, I have completed a few but after a while I stopped doing them.

I’ve done some research on the forum and I think it’s just banned accounts but I’m not sure if all developers get it or just the ones that the banned has played their games.

I don’t understand, many people say to ignore it and others say not to, and I have too many of the same messages and I don’t have so many active players, I can imagine those who have thousands of players. I have ignored them for a long time

righttoerasure

you can automate these requests if you want to go through the effort of setting it up, but either way, it’s not a request to delete the data, you must legally remove all the data in your game associated with their ID. If the game doesn’t track any info about them then you don’t need to do anything

2 Likes

Hello, do you have more information about this automation? I would like to set it in my games

You can use:
game:GetService("DataStoreService"):GetDataStore("YourDataStore"):SetAsync("KEY", "DATA", userID)
(don’t forget to fullfill the other Right to erasure requests)

So data stores are fine as long as they aren’t on a leaderboard? Also, if I were to add joining and leaving analytics with Discord, would I need to delete those messages?

There’s a guide on Automating Right to Erasure Requests | Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub

Once you get into storing user data off-platform it gets tricky, if Roblox receives a right-to-erasure then the player is from a country that gives them the right to have their identifying data removed from online. You should remove your records on Discord if they tie any of their personal information to the info Roblox needs removed. A userID is not identifying if it is not associated with a username or anything that might ID the user off-platform, but if you’re storing messages like ‘MP3Face (id xxxx) joined from USA at 08:00 on 01/01/01 and played 10 minutes’ then that is identifying data that needs to be removed. Just ‘id xxxx’ may no longer be identifying data since Roblox will be deleting their part that ties that number to anything identifiable about the person.

It would still be wise to remove any datastores you have on the ID since Roblox (probably) doesn’t care if the data is never user-facing, they want the data gone

This does leave me wondering.
Isn’t right-to-erasure just for deleting personal data?

Do you actually have to clean your datastores even if the only thing you’re saving is things like how much coins, xp/level and what in-game items a player has?

Because it’s not necessarily personal data, anyone could have those stats.
It cannot be used to identify a person. There’s no name or birthday stored.

And what if your game has a “new game” option or a “delete save” option, do you still have to delete someone else’s data since they can now just delete it themselves?

Edit: oh and I forgot to add. What if your game tracks data that averages that of all players?

Say you track for each player how long it takes them to complete a certain quest and what their score and success is and eventually you compare and average it out with all other players to calculate something such as a difficulty spike or the average time it takes to complete to inform other players on the quest.

How would you delete that data since it’s an average of all players?