Risk of unintentional / difficult to avoid policy violations

Firstly, I’m unsure of where to post this topic because it doesn’t seem like a accurate fit for any forum category. As it’s likely to be of importance to all Developers, and Game Design Support seems like a ‘reasonable’ fit… here we are.

As a bit of background info: The inciting incident was me getting my account immediately terminated for a policy violation that, as far as I could determine, was not a violation. I appreciate that there are safety precautions that Roblox needs to maintain to keep people safe, and I support these entirely. I have a daughter, and would be suitably upset if she was exposed to adult content.

In my case, Roblox was likely warranted in categorising my part name as adult content. I’m assuming that, what I took to be a title that unmistakably labeled a decorative component of a turret, may have translated into a different language in a less than favourable way; based on the violation report being in Spanish.

As our code is also subject to policy violations, I worry that similar translation issues, metaphors, double entendres, and similar may result in unavoidable account suspensions and terminations, purely because we don’t know whether any chosen word could be (mis)construed as being adult in nature.

There are countless words and phrases that I use that may be offensive in different contexts, languages, cultures, etc… I could not decipher any adult theme behind the label I used. From my point of view, I could not predict the outcome or avoid it. It felt unfair to lose my account. Given the option, and better insight, my motivation to uphold Roblox policies (including ensuring my game is kid friendly) would result in me doing the right thing. Which is also why I’m here:

I’m hoping to hear from other Developers to get an idea of how they avoid incidents, and whether there is a feature that reviews my code / part labels and highlights areas of concern; giving me the opportunity to rectify problems before Roblox implements their zero-tolerance policy.

Lastly, in case anyone was wondering; I appealed and had my account termination revised to a suspension. They reasserted that the part label was a breach of policy, although they did not clarify how; which would have given me some of the insight needed to avoid recurrences.

2 Likes

I thought names, strings, and comments with profanity and whatnot were completely fine because your average player isn’t going to be downloading your world and messing around with it in studio and find out your part name was inappropriate.

1 Like

You’re right, but the above problem arose as a result of me saving a union to Roblox. I habitually export my unions and import the model as a meshpart before deleting the original union. I prefer to have a copy of the union available if I need to make changes later.

Saving the part involved labeling it so I could find / identify it later. And despite it being set to private (not available for other people), it was flagged as inappropriate, reviewed by moderators, and (somehow) confirmed to be adult content that posed a risk to other people.

This fits something of a grey area between private and something that could readily be made available to other people; which does present as a higher risk.