Ro-Wizard V2.0.1 Changelog

RO-WIZARD V2.0.1 CHANGELOG

Hello! I have some free time to work on Ro-Wizard again. It’s been a while since v2 released. My main priority as I get back into the swing of things is improving the performance, accessibility, balancing, and QoL for the game before I start adding more content and new things to do.

This last week of development has been focused on lowering memory usage and optimizing many parts of the game to improve client and server performance. A wave of major bugs have also been fixed, although there are still plenty to tackle. As I’ve been away from the project for a while, I didn’t have time to set up and run proper testing on this update. However, not much about the game itself has changed yet so it should hopefully be fine.

BUG FIXES

• Streaming

• Fixed an issue where potion tables weren’t able to be used after being restreamed.
    • Fixed issue with Spell Bookstands being unusable after being restreamed.
    • Fixed fireplaces being usuable after being restreamed
    • Fixes for weird dialog behavior when being streamed in/out (invisible NPCs with dialog, some at world root, some dialog bubbles not showing up when they should)
    • Fixed an issue where brooms would be unusable after being restreamed
    • Fixed an issue where the Chamber Of Secrets would not open after the trigger was restreamed, even if you’ve already consumed the Unicorn Blood.
    • Fixed an innumerable amount of other streaming-related bugs (most of them with certain quest assets).
  • Gameplay

• Fixed an issue where brooms would continue floating/flying after you’ve stopped riding them.
    • Fixed brooms not responding properly to Wingardium Leviosa, Accio, and Depulso
    • Fixed not being able to type spells in chat to cast
    • Permuto can no longer be used on players engaged in a duel
    • If an opponent leaves during a duel, they will now lose the correct amount of rating & the duel arena will not break.
    • Modified the bounds of the duel arenas to prevent faulty disqualifications (there are issues with getting stuck in walls/etc, will address those soon)
    • Updated the rules for Potionmaster’s Keychain, Jump Stones, and Apparate so they can no longer be used under certain circumstances or while sleeping.
    • Can no longer cast spells while sleeping
    • Modified the behavior of Retrosum so it’s less abusable for certain glitches and exploits.
    • Fixed the Arena UI staying on the player’s screen after the game has ended
    • Fixed a few edge cases on the arena that would cause it to break (still need to look more into these)

PERFORMANCE

• Smooth Terrain

• Voxels reduced from 217 million → 56 million. This will improve load times, reduce crash rates, and use less memory, helping lower-end devices. I’m still uncertain about if I want to keep smooth terrain in the game, but I’ll see how much this helps.
    • A lot of the terrain has been culled from underneath the map. May see a lot of accidental holes in the map from this process.
    • Certain areas have been reworked to help reduce the voxel counts. Unused areas of the seafloor have been made less deep or removed entirely.
    • Unintentionally added a beach outside of the Badger’s homeroom when I was modifying terrain. Decided to keep it. Maybe I’ll add a beach chair there later. :beach_umbrella:
  • Scripts

• Significant optimizations made to the rain effects.
    • PhysicsObjects system has been completely recoded to improve performance. This will allow for some more exciting spell effects in the future.
    • Floating candles animation temporarily disabled, ran out of time to fix properly.
    • Fixed mob healthbars updating unnecessarily each frame
    • Optimized health, breath, shield, & focus regeneration scripts
    • Day & Night cycle script was optimized so it’s not advancing the ClockTime each frame.
  • Map

• Replaced some stairs with wedges.
    • Anchored the seats on the pianos
    • Anchored a lot of other parts that were unanchored on accident
    • Remeshed any part-dense models to lower part count (e.g windows in Wicket Alley were 2k parts alone; converted them into meshes and now only ~150)
  • Other

• Compressed the image asset grid used to create the map & minimap, the image assets were using a lot of extra memory
    • Removed a lot of unencessary assets in ReplicatedStorage and in the workspace (goodbye… old Chamber of Secrets)

MINOR CHANGES

• Added a few new Dark Wizard & Light Wizard spawns
  • Removed a few trees in the dark forest and on the school grounds, some areas I felt needed to be a bit more open.
  • Removed some jump runes around the schoolgrounds, some felt out of place.
  • With the PhysicsObject recode, Wingardium Leviosa now uses updated BodyMovers and when used on a physics object the force will be applied to where you clicked on the object instead of at its center.
  • Dark Forest entrance remodeled
  • Deleted the wood scaffolding next to the clock tower, didn’t really have a purpose and I want that area opened up for the future
  • Did some other very minor map tweaks, can’t remember them all. I’d like to improve a lot of areas at some point.
  • Because terrain was redone, some hidden chests & mob spawns needed to be moved around.
  • The massive terrain mountains in the game that used to exist were removed for performance and replaced with mesh versions. Looked a bit lackluster, so I added some texturing to the mesh and redid the mountainscape as a compromise.
4 Likes