RobloTags --- Save, use & delete varaibles cross scripts [UPDATE]

:house: Model:sunglasses: Old Model:scroll: Main Module

RobloTags

RobloTags is a module making saving, retreiving and deleting varaibles cross scripts easy.
You can create a value in one script, and load it into another without having to define it
multiple times! Along with that, all values are controlled nativally on the server so there
is less of a chance to have data breaches or data being lost in-session.

Newest Update Notes
With RobloTag version 15 and module version 3, there is an entirely new function. Feast your eyes on. finally, the edit function!

• Edit your current varalibles to store new values
  • Your stored tags before the update will be compatible

So, be sure to get the updated model and re-insert it into your game for bug fixes, better output printing, edit function and more!

Docs

There are currently three functions that are supplied with the base RobloTags module.
These include Create, Delete and Load. These will be expanded upon in the future.

:Create(name, value);

To create a new tag to log in the system ,you must use this function on the module with
your desired tag name as the first value, and a valid UTF-8 string as the second.

local RobloTags = require(7101189320)

RobloTags:Create("Tag Name", "Tag Value");

:Load(name);

To load a tag to be used, call the :Load() function with a valid name as the first
parameter. The function’s returning value is the value of the tag.

local RobloTags = require(7101189320);

local var = RobloTags:Load("Tag Name");

:Delete(name);

If you want a tag to be deleted, or removed, from the game’s RobloTag store then call this
function along with a valid tag name in the first parameter.

local RobloTags = require(7101189320);

RobloTags:Delete("Tag Name");

:Edit(name, value);

To set a new value to a tag, call the edit function along with a new (required) value for
your tag.

local RobloTags = require(7100678135);

RobloTags:Edit("Tag Name", "New Tag Value");

More…

This helps so then you don’t have to save things in your own DataStore and you don’t have to transfer varaibles over into every new script you need them in. Just one require() and you got it :slight_smile:

Use

Get the newest model here: RobloTags - Roblox

If you have any suggestions/critizim//bug reports, feel free to respond to this topic or DM me on here or on Discord (cistachio#0334). Thanks for checking out the post & I hope this helps you!

Information

Current Module Version: 3
Current RoTags Version: 15
Version Dependicies:

“TestService”, parented to game
“DataStoreService”, parented to game

module and RobloTags is (c) cistachio. do not re distrubute without proper permission and
credit being provided.

the module is provided in an “as is” condition. scripts may break without being properly
updated to the newest verisons.

I am planning on updating the module in the future with an editing system and more. There will be more content!

There is more in-depth information about the system and the function within the module.

6 Likes

Current Version: v1.3!

This release mainly consisted of expanding the bout section in the script and typos.

Suggest updates with a reply! Like the model? Fav or like!

1 Like

maybe if we can actually get the package it would be a whole lot more useful

2 Likes

Please explain. You cannot purchase the package? It’s free.

“This item is not currently for sale.”

1 Like

Oh, my apologies. I will fix that soon…

It’s been 9 hours and it still hasn’t been fixed. It’s a great resource but literally no one can use it. I recommend you quickly make it for sale otherwise it’s going to the sink to the bottom of this category.

1 Like

Sorry, you guys found out that the model wasn’t on sale as soon as I was going to bed. I am fixing it now

It’s been fixed, sorry I didn’t tell you earlier :sweat_smile:

Developer Update Notes – RobloTag v15
With RobloTag version 15 and module version 3, there is an entirely new function. Feast your eyes on. finally, the edit function!

• Edit your current varalibles to store new values
  • Your stored tags before the update will be compatible

So, be sure to get the updated model and re-insert it into your game for bug fixes, better output printing, edit function and more!

So these are sort of like global variables? Why should I use these over something like attributes, or module scripts?

1 Like

Yes, this module makes variables. They are saved with DataStoreService, so you don’t have to worry about keeping track of them. Which in turn helps limit clutter.

Attributes must be referenced as another variable for each one, while with RoTags all of your variables are within access with one line of code.(requiring the module)

1 Like

I can get all of my attributes in one line of code:

game.Workspace.Example:GetAttributes()

It also seems in order to load one of your vars you need to use 2 lines(not much, but more than this).

Okay, but you must use more lines to actually interact with all of the attributes, right?

Yes, and wouldn’t you need to use more lines to interact with your variables as well, or do they just call whenever you require the asset?

If you were to need to load an asset from RoTags, you would just call :Load() where ever it is needed as long as the Module is required at the top of the script.

As an example; if I had a value that I’d want to print I could simply do this:

local RobloTags = require(script.Parent.RobloTags.MainModule);

print(RobloTags:Load("Assest Name"));

I can do the same thing with attributes:

local myattribute = game.Workspace.Example:GetAttribute("Example")

print(myattribute)

Without requiring any other module.

Yes, but you’d need to make multile variables for attributes (whereas all variables stored with RoTags are saved/loaded with one line (the require variable))

could be

local RoTags = require(module);

Yes, but let’s say I have an attribute named “HI” and a RobloTag named “HI”.

If I wanted to them in a function, I would still need to name the RobloTag, which would make me have another var.