Roblox 2019 Events Update

Profit is nice, but not always the solution. Where does the profit come from? The players. And they stay on the platform if they feel it is enjoyable. Regardless of the removal of the events, I still enjoy the community but really not as much. These events are sentimental and nostalgic. They were something we all could build a connection to, between the players, developers and ROBLOX staff. These connections made the community what it was. But now this is all screwed up and I do not like this, neither do most people. ROBLOX needs to consider this, for the sake of their player base, the events should stay.

1 Like

This is going to simultaneously kill events for Roblox and us devs. If players constantly see events from different games showing up on the games page it will make them less special. Soon even my game-specific events will be just as fatigued and useless as Roblox’s official ones.

So I can’t even recreate something I enjoyed because nobody is going to care after every game shoves it down their throat. Thanks for ruining one of the best parts of this platform for all of us.

11 Likes

I don’t really like the fact that this is replacing all events. Events are welcomed by the community, mainly because of the prizes. Roblox had decided to remove events for these types of “Events”. What will happen next Easter? Will there be an egg hunt? Roblox could have kept the events, and added Live-Ops. The community would have stayed, and everyone would be happy. Still. I am going to give Live-Ops a try, and I’m going to write my experience soon.

4 Likes

They’re enabling devs to create our own rigs for our games by allowing us to import rigs and animations much easier. As a dev, I spend a lot of time achieving a degree of theme and immersion, and thus prefer having better control over what my players look like. It’s significantly more useful than just accepting how a player looks, whether that’s a robot in a medieval game, or a pirate in a space game.

Many top games have done the same to a degree. Welcome to Bloxburg, Phantom Forces, Q-Clash, and many others do this too, so it’s reasonable to assume that many (I’m not saying all) players don’t mind either. At that point, why even care about avatar appearance?

1 Like

No, pretty sure they scrapped it because it saves time and money. With the Rthro thing going on, it makes sense since those packages take longer to make than prize items.

Plus they decided to scrap events shortly after Rthro came out even though events were around for 10 years so there’s that.

I get making Rthro packages and prize items at the same time puts so much stress on people, especially with the time frame they’re given but they could easily make less of those packages per month if they’re that hard to make.

You also need to understand that there’s nothing new being added, the live ops thing is basically a carbon copy of the featured system but worse.

The “promote community driven” thing sorta just seems like an excuse so they can either put more elbow grease into Rthro avatars or just have less money to spend.

The fact that they’re avoiding any discussion about this makes the 2 reasons i stated above very likely.

That’s basically why this is probably the most hated update in Roblox history.

15 Likes

Whilst I find this a great idea, I think that egg hunts SHOULD be kept 100%. I have been on ROBLOX since 2013 and the 2013 egg hunt was the best! I liked scrambled in time too. Please do not remove egg hunts! I understand why you do remove them!

8 Likes

I don’t think just egg hunts should stay I think all season events like the summer games should stay

3 Likes

Well, looks like Roblox doesn’t want to listen to our words, so let’s talk with statistics. Featured event developers who have statistics on revenue before and after events: I encourage you to get into Live-Ops and see how revenue compares.

8 Likes

The gauntlet seems to fit for Rthro.

2 Likes

Yes, I forgot to mention those. All seasonal events should stay. Sorry, my bad!

1 Like

11 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off-topic and bump posts

If I’ve seen minimal talk about a potential middle ground solution which is a shame. Essentially, the solution is to give developers more power by:

• Allowing anyone to create catalog items
  • Allowing developers to give out their items through an API

UGC in the Catalog

Currently, Roblox as a gaming and social platform is completely based around user-generated content. This has worked amazingly for building the platform and attracting tens of millions of players to play and create. So, why not expand this to the catalog?

While understandably there are some concerns, it is time that Roblox began working towards a fully user-generated catalog. Over the past few years, we have seen Roblox begin to take a backseat in uploading items and with sales not being as exciting and rewarding as they once were. With users being able to create catalog items, there would be a constant flow of brand new items for users to customize their avatars with! This would also create a new way for the many clothing artists to expand and grow.

One big concern is duplicate items being uploaded to the catalog. One reasonable solution is to use artificial intelligence by training a computer to quickly recognize similarities with items that already exist allowing for it to automatically dispose of most duplicate items uploaded. With this implementation, it would also solve the issue of hundreds of duplicates of the same shirt or pair of pants.

Another issue that product managers are more concerned with is the possibility of the economy being disrupted and hurt by this. Finding a proper solution to duplicate items will resolve a large probability of economic disruption by duplicates being made of high priced items and being sold at a much lower cost. User-generated content also holds the potential of boosting the economy. With many new enticing catalog items being created by artists, users are more likely to find an item they want and spend money to get it similar to with game products which have made this platform what it is today.

Developers giving out items

Although live-ops look like they will be awesome for developers to get their in-game event featured, one key point is missing. There is no way for developers to give out items which are something that has been key to the success of Roblox events. For example, Egg Hunts are popular because players are collecting eggs that they can wear and always show off. If developers are able to give out in-game items, then most complaints about the removal of events would go away because developers can now get together and make their own replacement events with no extra costs to Roblox.

One big issue is developers spamming users with items which are why there would need to be limitations. These are some of the possible limitations I have come up with off the top of my head, although in practice they may not work the best:

• Rules against spamming users with items
  • A higher price each time the developers want to upload a new item to the game
  • An in-game notification similar to badge notifications that let players know they’re getting items put in their inventory
  • A small cooldown for how fast an item can be rewarded giving time for the player to leave before they are possibly “spammed”
25 Likes

Well, me either. I just want to see how this Live-Ops change is. Maybe we underestimated it?

Exactly why we should give it time to actually be implemented before we rush to judgement.

I 100% agree with that. It is really just the removal of ROBLOX events. I am fine with that but I am sure that Live-Ops could possibly make up for it.

Okay, sounds abit genuine but I suppose the events are doing good at the moment as I see.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

4 Likes

Events are what is keeping Roblox alive. They are really fun to play with your friends as you try to get items. Also, the individuals who don’t have “robux” can participate and gain free items. Which is a huge impact.

5 Likes

Mhm, it was fair and sometimes if it was good enough of an event, it was fun. Playing fun events for prizes were nice in seasonal events. The monthly events wouldn’t be too bad to go away because the prizes make users look like a walking billboard, however, there is a large number of people who still like these events and good enough to want them to stay. But I am sure Live-Ops may make up for the events removal.

Its hard to believe that roblox would actually downgrade itself in terms of events. I think this whole live-ops thing would be fine with the inclusion of catalog items, even if its just one hat per event, the developers can choose how its given out. Maybe some rare hats in one event that only a select few could obtain through hard work or some easier hats which most casual players could obtain. I do like the idea of creating catalog items but i do think it should be a selective process to be able to do that (OBC users possibly? An application like dev-ex?). Looking at how models, pants, shirts and t-shirts are (as you mentioned) currently it would be a no bueno as much as i would want it. One idea i had for UGC being added to inventories stems from the trade system, allowing users to view a window which shows what items are trying to be added to their inventory. Players could then accept or deny the item being added to prevent unwanted items from building up. For example if you complete an obby (or whatever else) and some hat is earned it will then send it to your profile to accept or deny. There are a lot of good ideas here, just the lack of communication from staff is concerning.

6 Likes