Roblox Animate Script Only Works In Studio

So basically I’ve a character loading system using CreateHumanoidModelFromDescription(), this function puts the default Roblox Animate script inside the character.

Everything works as expected inside Studio. However, in-game it just throws a blank error message with no explanation.

From what I’ve found, it looks like I don’t have the permission to use Roblox’s default animations since I don’t own the asset. Is this really true?

(It is also impossible to get them)

Do I really have to download every single animation from every single purchasable package, then manually re-upload them and then fork the default Animate script? Is there any other way to solve this issue or perhaps something else is wrong that makes this only work in Studio?

1 Like

Asset loading rules only apply to assets uploaded by users you don’t own. Any asset uploaded by Roblox does not have to be explicitly in your inventory for it to load in your experience, so no that’s not the issue. Without context though (other than it looks like you’re trying to run this in a ViewportFrame), it’s not easy to provide you any starting point to search or even point out the cause.

You sure you’re just getting a blank error? No stack trace or anything?

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply!
I figured it had to do something with asset loading, since everything works fine and as expected in Studio (There is no error message and the animations work correctly) Sorry for the lack of context, I thought my research was correct and it had to do something with the assets/permissions. It is indeed a ViewPortFrame with a WorldModel in it so joints work correctly. Everything is on the client since this is only used locally for the UI.

I am not getting anything other than that blank error message when in-game that contains the path/location of the Animate script. (I hid the output since it only has useless debug messages I used for something else.)

This is how the PlayerGui looks like in Studio when testing the game.

I could find two other threads talking about the exact same issue. Both are in a ViewPortFrame.
However, neither of them came to a solution.

From this, I can probably assume that the issue has to do something with ViewPortFrames, however that still doesn’t explain why everything works fine when testing the game in Studio.

Made a new discovery;

It looks like when I manually copy and the insert the character from the explorer into the StarterGui when testing the game in Studio, it actually works both in-game and in Studio.

However, this does not solve my problem. I would like to load any Player’s character using their PlayerId, this is why I use GetHumanoidDescriptionFromUserId() and CreateHumanoidModelFromDescription() which only works when testing the game in Studio for some reason as mentioned in my previous posts.

I’ll try and summarize what I’ve found so far:
This entire situation is really odd; When creating a Character with CreateHumanoidModelFromDescription() everything works fine and as expected in Studio, however in the Roblox Client the default Roblox Animate Script throws an empty error message with no explanation. (Can be seen in my previous posts.)
Today I found out that when I manually copy the Character Model when testing the game in Studio and then insert it into the ViewPortFrame in the StarterGui, everything works both in-game and Studio. While generating the character with a script trough CreateHumanoidModelFromDescription() causes it to ONLY work in Studio and not in-game. The exactly same script works with the same character when it was already in the StarterGui, but generating it trough the function with a script causes it to ONLY work in Studio and not in the Roblox Client. But copying this non-working character model and manually inserting into the StarterGui from the game works perfectly fine in both cases, what?

I am starting to wonder if this is a bug or some kind of internal issue, any help/information is appreciated.

This issue is not specific to CreateHumanoidModelFromDescription() but it looks like it only is has to do with the default Roblox Animate script. I get the exact same error and issue when using CreateHumanoidModelFromUserId().

I’ve also found another topic (Now in total 3) wanting help about this exact issue.

I think I am going to completely abandon this approach of loading a character, and try something completely different.

Bump, I am having this exact issue. This seems like very strange behavior

1 Like