Roblox animator not working on custom rig?

Hello, I currently have a problem that prevents me from continuing.

I’ve made a custom rig, but for some reason I’m unable to animate it.
It’s similar to a R15 rig but with fingers (it has thumbs, etc, but not all 5 fingers).

I’ve named every part correctly, everything is welded with Motor6D.
It has a Humanoid and HumanoidRootPart, all welded and functional.
Rootpart anchored, rest unanchored.

It’s pretty much the same as a R15 rig, it even has attachments and all.

But I just can’t animate it.

I have no clue why I’m unable to animate it.
I checked everything, yet somehow the animator can’t detect the rig.

If anyone can help me out here it’ll be really appreciated,
thank you for taking the time to read this.

Aso I hope this is the correct place to post it, it’s not 100% scripting related.
Though, I did weld the entire model with a script.

I basically used my rig module that gets the position, etc of every attachment and makes Motor6D welds, it works perfectly fine, I’ve looked into every part and joint.

4 Likes

I have already tried restarting studio/animator several times, new humanoid, double checks on the rig.

Still no luck, nothing has changed.
Selecting the rig does nothing in the animator.
It keeps saying “Select a rig to animate”.

1 Like

Hi hi.

Although I cannot tell what the issue is (not enough info), I’ll try my best.

Are you able to move the body parts around with the animator (i.e raise the arms, move the legs)?

If not:
I do suggest checking to make sure ALL parts except the HumanoidRootPart are i anchored. If all the body parts are anchored, that probably explains why you cannot animate it.

Hope this helped! :grin:

I’m not able to do anything at all.
The animator doesn’t even let me in, it stays stuck at “Select a rig to animate”.

All parts are unanchored except HumanoidRootPart.
That’s the only and I mean only part that’s anchored.

R24 Biped Rig.rbxm (5.5 KB)

I have the model here (without Humanoid but it’s the same)
you can take a look for yourself if you want.
Insert a humanoid and try to do anything with the animator, it won’t do anything whenever I try to do that.

(Edit: I checked the saved one too, exact same model, but without humanoid since I want to use a AnimationControlled instead, gonna be for a experimental project where characters and animations are done locally.)

I inserted a humanoid and made the root part the primary part and I could create an animation. It gave this error

Those are the thumb/finger parts.
They’re only parented inside the Left and Right Hand to keep the rig clean.

Yeah once you make it so the rb1 part isn’t connected to multiple motors Part1 then it’ll fix your problem and you can animate it.

If I parent the fingers into the model, animate it and then parent them back inside the hands, will that work? Will the animation still play correctly?

Or isn’t that the problem?

R24 Biped Rig.rbxm (6.7 KB)

Alright, I think I have fixed the Motor6D, I indeed saw a few mistakes so small I didn’t spot them at first.

The rig should be fixed now, however, roblox animator still does the exact same thing, not showing me any errors either.

The model file I uploaded now has humanoid too, once again, Root anchored, rest unanchored, same issue.
Don’t know what causes it this time but it prevents me from working on my project, I really need to do the animations right now but instead I’m constantly busy fixing the rig.

(Edit: I’ve checked for the x time, this rig is a pain, still can’t find what caused problems. Xd)

1 Like

Click on the model, and click PrimaryPart and set it to the humanoidrootpart and then it works. Also i put all the joints in the humanoidrootpart because not sure if the motors have to be parented in the part but it might work in the folder u can test it

I immediately tried it as soon as I saw your message.
Set the Primary part, parent motors to a part, etc.

It still doesn’t work.

Edit: R24 Biped Rig.rbxm (6.5 KB)
reuploaded the model so you can take a look.
I really have no idea.

No idea, try restarting studio or trying it in a baseplate because it works for me.

1 Like

So the rig works perfectly fine for you without having to modify it?

The animator works in a empty baseplate, but now I have issues with it acting weird and all.

This is one of the weird things it’s doing currently, how do I fix this problem?

I’ll try it out when i have time and I’ll let you know if I can find any issues. As of now, it does seem like a bug, since it shouldn’t be staying the same on “Select rig to animate”

1 Like

Try unchecking Humanoid->AutomaticScalingEnabled in the properties panel before opening the Animation Editor. This will disable automatic HipHeight calculations that are probably not correct for your character.

6 Likes

So disabling that will fix the weird glitching, etc in the animator?
(As shown in GIF above.)

Ah yes, I can finally use the animator.
Thank you all.

I’ll mark the last post that was the (final) solution now.
Your help was very appreciated.

2 Likes