Roblox App Crashes when playing on a MacBook

Lately for most MacBook users, the ROBLOX app has been crashing randomly when a game is played. When it crashes, you can’t do absolutely anything with the app. I can’t leave game, move my character, and everything freezes in place. The only way to get rid of this issue is by quitting the app.

A private message is associated with this bug report

5 Likes

Could you provide system information, what device this is occuring on, and when it occurs?

I have the MacBook Air 15-inch M2. It’s currently running on Sonoma 14.4 but has been happening since around 2-3 months ago. The issue occurs randomly out of nowhere, so I have no way of knowing when it’s going to happen. I’ve also seen this happen to others with a MacBook too, which is how I know it’s not an issue on only my end.

1 Like

do you have some virus bc my old pc had virus i can not played roblox

May you provide a video? It would help to know when exactly the crash happens. Also, does this happen on a baseplate with zero extra scripts?

I am a MacBook user and I can verify it is not a virus. It’s been happening to me for a while now(around the same time, the poster said). I have recently factory restarted my computer and I am having the same issue. It would be very hard to provide a video sense the freezes happen very sporadically. It could be within five minutes of joining the game or two hours. There was only one time something notable happened, which was when my camera clipped through the wall, but this was most likely a coincident as that was happening a bunch. I think it always happens when I’m doing something but I am not 100% sure about that.

I can confirm this on MacBook Air 13, the Roblox App has been crashing a lot lately since the Sonoma release, the Roblox Task doesn’t stop after crashing or closing the app. forcing you to either end the task manually or restart.

Willing there is a solution as its happening very often even after reinstalling.

There is no way of providing a video because it happens randomly at any time. It’s been happening less but according to others it’s still happening. This happens in any game, baseplate or not.

It’s for MacBooks with the Sonoma version as far as I’m aware.

This unfortunately happens after updating to v612. Here’s what happens:

Specs:

Roblox on macOS Sonoma does work on v611 and earlier. It’s just this version is unplayable until a fix was released.

This isn’t what happens with me. I just play a normal game and the game freezes out of nowhere so everything is stuck in place. I can’t leave game or anything, I have to quit it. Lately, this issue hasn’t been happening so hopefully it’s patched but we’ll see.

1 Like

The issue got worse after updating Roblox to its last version, crashes are now very often and FPS drops massively before crashing or freezing for about a few seconds.

Thanks for the report! We’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

1 Like

after v616…

had to upload it to google drive because devforum doesn’t like 10+ MB files

Same computer, but updated it to macOS 14.4

Prior to January, I experienced the problem in the initial thread where in the middle of a game session, the whole screen just froze for no reason but the game audio still runs perfectly fine. I haven’t experienced that recently.

However, I do experience what @alpharetzy2 experienced recently. Occasionally, when I join a game or teleport to a different game, Roblox just decides to close itself (within 5 seconds in the game) and I have to rejoin the game. Still happening on 618.