Roblox Asset IDs shouldn't be static numbers that steadily increment by 1

I’m thinking like, why don’t they just randomly generate “IDs” like Youtube does? I dunno how hard it would be to convert the current ID system to a new one but I feel like this would be a much better approach. Also considering the fact that eventually, asset IDs will become far too large.

Or maybe I’m just stupid and this is a terrible idea

14 Likes

This would not stop clothing copying, as this method is already ineffective since image/clothing assets are ~50 IDs apart now due to the volume of assets being created. There are other, easier ways to steal clothing (I won’t go into details since this is a public category), so moving away from incremental IDs wouldn’t make much of a dent on clothing copying.

It may be worth looking into this though to prevent scraping of assets. This may be how item leakers find ROBLOX assets early.

11 Likes

Personally I think leakers are good because:

• They create hype about wanting to get the new items
  • you know what you get (is it worth saving for/staying up all night?), meaning if it isnt good, people won’t buy it. This encourages roblox to make QUALITY gifts and sale items.
  • make people who use them feel superior to others hence wanting to play more because it makes them feel better
2 Likes

Would agree that this would be nice, as I wouldn’t like to have all of that go to waste. That being said, it would be more appropriate for ROBLOX to improve their releases rather than relying on leakers to provide users a satisfying experience.

This is really something that’s up to ROBLOX, as hype is more a business decision than anything else. Leakers may build hype too early and have it die off before release as well, so this is best left up to ROBLOX, as leakers aren’t aware of their internal plans/goals and can’t tailor to them.

Seems pretty toxic to me. Don’t know why we’d want to encourage users to think they’re better than everyone else.

2 Likes

I think Roblox should adapt a system like YouTube for future assets

11 Likes

Glad to hear you agree!

1 Like

Youtube IDs are literally just hexadecimal numbers iirc

1 Like

Except the video Alex posted has the ID gocwRvLhDf8 - I doubt g, o, w, R, v, L and h are hexadecimal numbers.

Interesting idea, though - but I wonder on the issues with implementing it. It seems like it could cause issues with existing API, and in-game asset usage.

3 Likes

Yeah. It’s base64 numbering, not hex*

sorry haha

1 Like

Yeah I definitely agree with this.
At some point, Roblox is going to reach asset numbers that exceed the capacity of 32-bit integers, so we’re going to need a more friendly system that won’t be prone to overflowing in the practical future. I’d love to see base64 ids similar to the ones YouTube uses.

2 Likes

I agree with you that it’s probably best if ROBLOX tried to hype up sales themselves, but at the moment this does not happen, which is why I don’t believe random IDs is a good thing.

A big part of progressing in a videogame or having limited hats is to show off how good you are, and having information that not everyone knows is the same in my opinion.

I think this is a good idea but you are looking at it for the wrong reasons; itll do next to nothing to copying or leaking

But for the quantity of assets created daily, itll need to be dobe sooner or later

2 Likes

I agree with OP, if assets used an ID system like youtube does (using randomly generated strings as the ID), it would allow developers to delete their assets at will without messing up the current ID system.

With the recent events going on (we had to submit asset removal requests to roblox for our copyrighted materials, and they are taking a LONG TIME to proccess), it would be more efficient in the future to just let developers remove their own assets if a problem comes up with them.

It saves Roblox the headache, and gives developers more control over their assets.

1 Like

Shirt copying could still be done by simply wearing the shirt in-game, then by copying the assetId from the character.

I also like being able to store AssetId’s compactly in a delta-based list.

1 Like

I’m not talking about shirt copying, I’m just speaking in general.

1 Like